Rocky Hillside Full Sun

maryrocksFebruary 8, 2009

We have a hillside -- 200' by 20' ranging from 45 degrees to 20 degrees in full sun. Our soil seems like one part clay and three parts rocks. We live on a dirt road, and this slope is along the road in front of our house. We planted 200 myrtle plants 3 years ago, with a heavy spread of mulch between the plants. The myrtle are about one foot across now and we have every kind of weed growing on the hillside too despite hours of weeding each week. We regret removing trees too, because of the dust. We'd like to plant something that will grow better than the myrtle, that will help with the dust, and be maintenance free. Will post pictures when the snow melts. Ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
get_creative

Yikes. Rocky clay is definitely a challenge.

Apple trees and lilac bushes should be okay in clay soil, but maybe a better result would be wildflowers.

Once established a wildflower meadow can be lower maintenance. You will have to water to get established at first. You'll also have to burn or mow at least once a year or you will get weeds again.

If this sounds like something you'd like to try, go to the link and check out their wildflower mix for clay soils. At the very least, you'll get some ideas for perennials for your soil type. They also have information on maintaining the meadow once established.

Best of luck!

Heidi

Here is a link that might be useful: Prairie Nursery

Bookmark   March 2, 2009 at 3:00PM
bob64(6)

I have gotten seed from a good company in PA. See the link. I have also heard many good things about the company mentioned above.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ernst Seed

Bookmark   March 6, 2009 at 9:47PM
maryrocks

Thanks for the good suggestions. I'm hoping for some things taller than wildflowers. I'll look into this in the meantime.

Bookmark   March 11, 2009 at 5:04PM
rockguy(7a)

Forsythia hedge. Cheap to start with cuttings from an established bush(-es). Perennial, and you get yellow flowers in early spring.

Bookmark   March 14, 2009 at 8:59PM
bob64(6)

Some wildflowers can be pretty tall. I agree that forsythia is relatively easy to establish.

Bookmark   March 18, 2009 at 3:10PM
greengardener07

Yuck! Forsythia!

A well liked, over grown weed!

Be prepared for a lot of runners where you do not want them!

Bookmark   May 13, 2009 at 12:56PM
More Discussions
GA Backyard HIllside Help
My wife and I purchased our first home back in October...
zgordon
Are there low height grasses for a steep slope?
We have a 20' high, very steep hillside slope and would...
sunroomguy
Stream erosion
We plan on putting a pool in our backyard. However,...
Treeseeker
GA Backyard HIllside Help
My wife and I purchased our first home back in October...
zgordon
Front yard hill and deer
After years of thinking about what I'd like to do with...
sujiwan_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™