My Hillside Garden: summer and autumn pictures!

soitgoesMarch 27, 2010

I finally got around to posting pictures of my garden in full bloom. I had posted some early spring pictures here:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hillside/msg0523101216137.html?3

A few years ago this was covered in Japanese Knotweed and Mugwort, so there is hope for nasty hills!

Here's some pictures of the garden in full bloom. There are still some empty spaces to fill in.

Eastern redbud, rudbeckia fulgida, purple coneflower, little bluestem, red chokeberry, and phlox subulata

This one has switchgrass, and serviceberry in background:

Autumn:

Grey Owl juniper, serviceberry in fall color, little bluestem in fall color, a little peek at Penstemon digitalis "Husker Red" also in fall color.

Penstemon, chokeberry, bluestem, with neighbor's trees in background (Darn Norway maple.....)

Long shot of entire hill, including unfinished areas. Eastern Redbud has inconsistent fall color, and this was not her year. The prior year it was a brilliant gold that only lasted a few days, but this year we had a wind storm and she shed her leaves before they turned:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
goodbyekitty(Zone 6 Wa/Sunset 3)

Very nice! I wish my coneflowers looked that good. What did you do to keep the leaves from getting eaten? Near the end of summer the leaves on my coneflowers looked liked lace. I never sprayed because I don't know what to spray them with!

Should I have a yard service come around? Help!

Bookmark   April 6, 2010 at 10:32PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardendoll

Excellent work!

I've just moved to the country....there is a similar but longer dropping hillside across the drive. I will have to step garden actually but your work is inspiring.
Thank you for sharing.

Peggy

Bookmark   November 21, 2010 at 5:27PM
More Discussions
Plants for Swampy Hill
What low maintenance plants would be good for a hill...
edlincoln
Front yard hill and deer
After years of thinking about what I'd like to do with...
sujiwan_gw
GA Backyard HIllside Help
My wife and I purchased our first home back in October...
zgordon
Best mulch for a hill?
Does anyone have a "best" mulch? One that...
dainaadele
Are there low height grasses for a steep slope?
We have a 20' high, very steep hillside slope and would...
sunroomguy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™