Any herbs that dont like pine bark mulch?

taniaa(z9 Australia)April 20, 2007

Hi, having bought our first home, I have finally planted my herb garden. I'm wondering if any of the following herbs dont like pine bark mulch - lemongrass, vietnamese mint, flat leaf parsley, curley parsley, peppermint, sweet basil, garlic chives, shallots, marjoram, thyme and oregano.

I have been told that most annual flowers dont like this form of mulch, thus my question.

Previously, my herbs have been planted in pots, and I used pebbles to mulch, but I dont want to use this in my garden beds.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

I wouldn't use any pine bark mulch around herbs. The pine needles and bark tend to give off 'chemicals' that herbs don't like. The mulch is mainly to stop weeds from sprouting, so it shouldn't be used around herbs. Ever notice that not much grows under a pine tree?

Bookmark   April 21, 2007 at 5:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Daisyduckworth(Aust)

Are there any herbs which DO like pine bark mulch, I wonder?

You and your herbs will be much happier with some sort of straw mulch. I use sugar-cane mulch because it's cheap and readily available where I live. Your local gardening centre/nursery will have several choices for you, and can advise on the best. Just make sure the mulch is well and truly dead and dry, and try to select one which doesn't have seeds in it.

Bookmark   April 22, 2007 at 3:34AM
More Discussions
Growing herbs
Hi all new to this gardening so want as someone something. I...
margowicz
Growing lemon grass
Has anyone grown lemon grass from seed?
minirose1
African blue basil
I live in central TN and am looking for an African...
rksamon
Cilantro indoors
How do I grow cilantro indoors? I'm in Colorado for...
timetraveler
I need help in mulching
What kind of mulch should I use in my herb garden?? my...
Keith Peñaflorida
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™