Will Gro-low sumac taking over ornamental bushes?

mathteachApril 8, 2007

I have a 45 degree sunny slope in the front of my new house. We have planted ornamental grasses, knock-out roses, Russian sage, and spreading junipers. With $4,000 worth of plants, the hill still looks bare and continues to erode. The Gro-low sumac seems like a good plant to fill in the bare spots, but will it over-take the other plants? I like the idea of keeping the bushes for color and visual interest. What do you think?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lovelycherry(Z7 Long Island)

Your hillside needs mulch and compost.
Healthy soil holds together better, absorbs water more readily and will thus decrease your erosion.
I use leaves, picked up from the curb in the fall, I dump those on my hill to keep the rain from impacting the soil and give nutrients to the soil.
Deep rooted plants will help as well, shallow rooted plants help less.
You will eventually divide your grasses and double the amount you have now.
Sumac is a great plant.. Bob64 visits here and I'll bet he will have some suggestions for you as well.
Pictures would help.
I encourage you to check the Winter Sowing Forum.
They will teach you how to grow your own plants for much less.

I have a terrible slope in my yard.. it will take me years to fix it but i continue to have hope.
Have hope!
Cherry

Bookmark   April 9, 2007 at 8:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bob64(6)

I haven't used gro-low sumac but I have seen it reccommended for hillside erosion control in a few articles. I have some staghorn sumac that so far (about 2 or 3 years) is not very aggressive although I hear it can be. However, my sumac is fighting to survive amidst many invasives. Some of the things you have already planted will expand over time so some of your problem will probably solve itself. If you have a serious erosion problem then you probably want to worry more about the erosion and less about which plants might win the fight for dominance. If your erosion is bad enough then you will have to consider mechanical controls (walls, terraces, etc.) and soft armor methods (erosion control blankets, turf reinforcement mats, etc.). As L.C. says above, some compost and mulch couldn't hurt.

Bookmark   April 18, 2007 at 5:07PM
More Discussions
Erosion on Backyard hillside
We are looking for some suggestions to stop the erosion...
Victoriabyers123
Where to Start?
Hi, I don't even know where to start with this hill....
lisaslists2000
VERY steep hill in backyard...need suggestions pls
Hi there, I am new to this website and posted this...
taraleigh
slugs, ugg.
I have been very fortunate in not having slugs bother...
ryseryse_2004
erosion control
Need some help- I have a west facing steep slope. Retaining...
luann_2006
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™