Retaining walls on terrace?

anjp(5a/5b)April 22, 2013

I'm trying to learn more about building a vegetable garden into the sloping hill in the back of my yard. My question is whether terraces require a retaining wall.

My wife and I bought a house a few months ago when snow was still on the ground. Turns out that when the snow melted the grass/sod was all dead. I'm in the middle of pulling it all out right now, but we'd like to replace it with a nice vegetable garden instead of new grass.

It's a small yard with a nice upslope at the rear (pic attached). I'd like to build a few levels into this slope to plant on an even surface. My question is whether these terraces require retaining walls... I would think so. My prelim research on this forum brought me to the post below, which recommended a document that built terraces with no retaining wall in place: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/permacult/msg1121450913552.html

Let's say I build retaining walls. What's the best material? Wood/landscaping timber? Stone? Brick? And how high/low should each wall/level be? If anyone could point me in the direction of a good guide I would certainly be appreciative. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anjp(5a/5b)

This might be a better photo for perspective. Taken from the deck. The levelling would be no higher than a couple feet below the pine tree in the top right.

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 10:16PM
JTarver295

You can build the wall out of whatever you like regarding materials. I personally like stone because its downside is primarily cost, but after that it doesn't attract bugs, rot, or decompose to any noticeable amount. That being said, I think your biggest problem with a vegetable garden there is going to be the amount of shade you have. Most veggies like full sun. If it gets that most of the day you should be fine. I'm going simply by the pics provided. Either way, if you build a wall, it should be something that compliments your house.

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 2:38PM
geosinindo

i think you should be retaining walls although on terrace, geotextile and geogrid can help your problem

Here is a link that might be useful: geotextile and geogrid

Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 4:22AM
More Discussions
VERY steep hill in backyard...need suggestions pls
Hi there, I am new to this website and posted this...
taraleigh
Reclaiming a hill - need suggestions
Posted this in the Landscape Design forum first, before...
kenallgood
GA Backyard HIllside Help
My wife and I purchased our first home back in October...
zgordon
Hillside Erosion Help
I have been battling a erosion in my back yard for...
patrickcoastal
what to plant on hill
I've always wanted a beautiful artsy garden and now...
tray_c72
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™