Need help with a decomposed granite hillside

wdsonnyApril 3, 2012

I have a very large, fairly steep hillside (30-45 degrees) in my backyard that is mostly decomposed granite. It is extremely hard to dig in, the only thing that grows is weeds, and it is in almost full sun. I am trying to find some type of ground cover that does not attract bees, that is pretty low maintenance. It is impossible to get a mower up the hill, and I'm not sure how to even turn the dirt to prep for planting as it is covered in weeds and you can't get an aerator up there due to the slope. Any suggestions on what to plant? Any ideas on how to kill the current weeds? There are also multiple tree stumps, and now some of the bushes are regrowing.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nil13(z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Washington))

Zone?

Bookmark   July 11, 2012 at 2:05AM
barnhardt9999(8a)

You could do figs trees. No maintenance, no bees and thick enough foliage to block out light for the weeds. Full sun, marginal decomposed limesound on a steep hill pretty much sounds like a fig's natural habitat.

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 12:22PM
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

We are in the same boat, but we have hundreds of gophers, and every tree we plant MUST be inside a gopher basket. We have citrus and figs ready to go in, but between the rocks and the gopher slaying, it takes one day to plant one tree.

I never thought that the trees would shade and block the weeds. That is a good point!

I bought myself a sturdy hiking staff for support going down that slippery decomposed granite hillside, and it really helps!

Check out the fig forum. There are many fig varieties that you never heard of that are delicious. They are nothing like what you buy commercially!

Suzi

Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 11:40AM
More Discussions
Hillside Erosion Help
I have been battling a erosion in my back yard for...
patrickcoastal
Steep slope in backyard
Hello, I have a steep (about 45 degrees) slope in my...
jpcn17
GA Backyard HIllside Help
My wife and I purchased our first home back in October...
zgordon
erosion control
Need some help- I have a west facing steep slope. Retaining...
luann_2006
GA Backyard HIllside Help
My wife and I purchased our first home back in October...
zgordon
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™