Help! Thoughts or suggestions for unsightly cliff/hill - pics

taraleighMay 2, 2009

We have a crazy cliff behind our house that we don't know what to do with. It looks particularly unsightly now and is hidden a little more with plants once summer comes.

Any suggestions on what could be planted on a slope this steep? Dry sandy soil...

We want to help stop erosion and also hide the unsightly roots of the trees coming up.

Thank you!!!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
melissas(z6PA)

I've tried several times to follow your link, but only see a potted plant. Perhaps re-post?

Bookmark   June 6, 2009 at 6:28AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pippi21(Z7 Silver Spring, Md.)

Go to the public library and borrow some gardening books on Rock gardens..that's the first thing that comes to my mind when I look at your pictures. With rock gardens, I wouldn't think that you'd have a lot of plants to buy. Maybe a few six packs of each chosen plant. You'd need to fill in with added gardening soil and compost I would think. Why not take a copy of the picture you posted to a good nursery or garden center and ask for some suggestions. I would think that you would need to fill in the area with gardening soil and compost. Ortho puts out some great gardening books, go to your local book store and look through them, maybe you'll get some ideas from them. Include both perennials and annuals. You will get instant color from your annuals but they don't come back year after year unless you buy plants that reseed themselves, which is my goal for next year. I don't have a slope/hillside to work with though. Posting here will help you get lots of ideas. The gardeners here are wonderful and you'll learn a lot. Most are very willing to share their knowledge and experience. Ask friends/neighbors and relatives to share some of their plants that you like. There's a good book called Pass-along plants that you might enjoy reading and it will be helpful.

Bookmark   April 18, 2010 at 4:29AM
More Discussions
Are there low height grasses for a steep slope?
We have a 20' high, very steep hillside slope and would...
sunroomguy
suggestion for stopping or slowing down rain water on hill
Hello friends, Feel frustrated now, After finished...
dhaval
GA Backyard HIllside Help
My wife and I purchased our first home back in October...
zgordon
what to plant on hill
I've always wanted a beautiful artsy garden and now...
tray_c72
Stream erosion
We plan on putting a pool in our backyard. However,...
Treeseeker
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™