Rose of Sharon Spacing?

disneynut1977(5b, Sunset zone 42)June 6, 2008

I have 9 3yr old seedlings I started from seed myself, seed was from a robin egg blue color. I also have 9 seedlings maybe 2 yrs from somebody elses yard, unsure of color. I wanted to put them along my fence in back to form a privacy hedge over time. They will be getting about 6-8 hours direct sun. All of them are only single sticks with leaves. I was thinking grouping them into 3 plants forming a triangle, each plant a foot apart and each group 5 feet apart? Does this make sense?

Melissa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pricklypearsatx(z8)

I would think if I was planting a simple hedge, based on mature size, I would space each plant about 5 feet apart. (My sense of scale is extremely impaired when I'm working with itty bitty plants.) I always plant them too close.

However, if you are able to imagine the full size and you feel comfortable with it, then go ahead. They are pretty easy plants and do OK even if they are a bit overcrowded. They also can tolerate considerable pruning. So there is no set rule about spacing. The spacing of 5 feet is simply a guide for mature spread etc.

Bookmark   June 8, 2008 at 9:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gansn(z7 AL)

I have 3 Rose of sharon placed in a triangle, each aout 4 feet from the next. They are probably 15 years old, and their branches all run into each other. If you don't mind them touching, 4 feet is enough, but I would think that 1 foot apart is much too close

Bookmark   June 18, 2008 at 9:51PM
More Discussions
Help with Hibiscus
I would love to find some real y drop dead gorgeous...
Chickey Wingz
Raising soil level up trunk
Hi there, I have an established 3m high woody hibiscus...
laurie_tennant
new seedling
one of my seedlings bloomed. nice flower shape - have...
merkity
Hibiscus Fertilizer
I purchased a container of Carl Pool hibiscus food...
elizabethk1
Probable Identity, Please
Here is a photo of a double salmon orange hybrid in...
palmfan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™