Anderson Crepe Hybiscus

Lesleybird(8B or 9 Houston)June 25, 2006

Hi,

I am trying to find out if the Anderson Crepe Hybiscus is a tropical one for only zones 9 and 10 minimum, or is it one that is heardy from zones about 4-10? I live in zone 8B in Houston and most tropical hybiscus dies back to the ground every year.....except for last winter we didn't really have a good freeze and they didn't die back. Our neighbor has a red one that is 8 feet tall this year because there was not much of a freeze. I saw the Anderson Crepe one in Jamacia last week and wanted one to remind me of Jamacia. The ones at our garden centers are all on a 4 foot single 1 1/2" tree trunk with branches at the top. Does anyone grow these? Thanks, Lesley in Houston

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elis_2010

I live in Houston. I have been growing them for over 8 years. Unfortunately, this year freeze has taken its toll on the one that was about 8 years old. It did okay on the first freeze, but the second freeze killed it. I believe because I did not water it the night before and did not hose down the frost the next day. Good luck. They are beautiful and I did get it to look like an umbrella tree. I do have a picture of it if you want me to send you one.

Bookmark   July 22, 2010 at 12:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dcarlton_tamu_edu

I am a Floridian that brought back six cuttings about 6-7 years ago to College Station, TX. I have several potted Anderson Crepes from 1-7 years old. Every year a pot a few more. I would not plant my tropicals in this part of Texas, as it's too dry with poor water qulaity, and too hot at times. I keep mine in partial shade, and use rain water to water them. As I also grow orchids, I capture pleny of rain water (when it does rain).

Bookmark   June 25, 2011 at 2:16PM
More Discussions
Rosa Sinensis X Syriacus Hybrid (dwarfed)
One of my seeds from a wild white syriacus x yellow...
twizzlestick
My first of many to come
I am new to the hibiscus corner of GW. I just wanted...
luvncannin
Help with an OLD hibiscus tree
This tree was planted long before we bought the house....
Crenda SWFL 10A
Beautiful indoor hibiscus bloom
Nothing is better to help you survive the dreary winter...
arctictropical
Please help!
I purchased a lovely pale yellow hibiscus 2 years ago...
eagleap_gw Zone 10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™