Anderson Crepe Hybiscus

Lesleybird(8B or 9 Houston)June 25, 2006

Hi,

I am trying to find out if the Anderson Crepe Hybiscus is a tropical one for only zones 9 and 10 minimum, or is it one that is heardy from zones about 4-10? I live in zone 8B in Houston and most tropical hybiscus dies back to the ground every year.....except for last winter we didn't really have a good freeze and they didn't die back. Our neighbor has a red one that is 8 feet tall this year because there was not much of a freeze. I saw the Anderson Crepe one in Jamacia last week and wanted one to remind me of Jamacia. The ones at our garden centers are all on a 4 foot single 1 1/2" tree trunk with branches at the top. Does anyone grow these? Thanks, Lesley in Houston

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elis_2010

I live in Houston. I have been growing them for over 8 years. Unfortunately, this year freeze has taken its toll on the one that was about 8 years old. It did okay on the first freeze, but the second freeze killed it. I believe because I did not water it the night before and did not hose down the frost the next day. Good luck. They are beautiful and I did get it to look like an umbrella tree. I do have a picture of it if you want me to send you one.

Bookmark   July 22, 2010 at 12:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dcarlton_tamu_edu

I am a Floridian that brought back six cuttings about 6-7 years ago to College Station, TX. I have several potted Anderson Crepes from 1-7 years old. Every year a pot a few more. I would not plant my tropicals in this part of Texas, as it's too dry with poor water qulaity, and too hot at times. I keep mine in partial shade, and use rain water to water them. As I also grow orchids, I capture pleny of rain water (when it does rain).

Bookmark   June 25, 2011 at 2:16PM
More Discussions
Hibiscus group on Big Island?
Is there a Hibiscus group/society/club on the East...
steiconi
A very nice "weed"
This one grows as a weed at my place, in that it self...
tropicbreezent
Name that Hibiscus?
This is my favorite, but I don't have a tag; I got...
steiconi
Searching for a 'Bloom Holder'....
Greetings, Does anyone know where I might find a hibiscus...
gardenlady48
Is my hibiscus dead?
I bought 2 hibicuses last year, and they did wonderfully....
chloe3871
Sponsored Products
Black and White Story Two-Light Wall Sconce in Studio White Satin Lacquer Finish
$819.00 | Bellacor
Baker Wall Clock
$35.00 | LexMod
'Dive into Sunshine Florida' Throw Pillow
$29.99 | zulily
Anderson Chair - Key Largo Grape Purple
Joybird Furniture
Radionic Hi Tech Bathroom Lighting Orly 2-Light White Vanity Light VA-V8PN225MV
Home Depot
Round Resin Madison Planter - A114080
$59.99 | Hayneedle
Austin Weathered Saddle 21 1/4" Wide Chandelier