Safety while gardening on steep hill

melody-s(USDA 7, Sunset 4)July 19, 2012

There are some parts of my property that are so steep that I worry about falling and injuring myself. Since I live alone this could be a huge problem.

Does anyone have recommendations about the best way to ensure safety while working in these areas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosiew(8 GA)

Always wear sturdy lace-up shoes without smooth bottoms.

I garden on a slope which, while steep, isn't steep enough for me to be concerned. Pictures of yours would help you get more concise advice.

I 'solo' garden also, so understand your concern.

Rosie

Bookmark   July 21, 2012 at 1:28PM
pat_tea(PNW, Van,WA)

Good shoes, a walking stick and a CELL PHONE!

Bookmark   August 17, 2012 at 5:01PM
nil13(z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Washington))

When we plant seriously steep slopes, like 100% and greater, we run a static line across the top. We then use harnesses and a safety line and clip that safety line into the static line at the top of the slope. Basically it's like rock climbing on a hill without rocks. Well sometimes there are rocks.

Bookmark   September 6, 2012 at 8:22PM
Calamity_J(z7bc)

I have broken my leg and had to lay there till hubby came home!arg! AND another time I broke my tailbone, so now I am told by hubby: TAKE YOUR CELL PHONE!!!! I pack it in a apron if I don't have another pocket...I like wearing sweat pants and tshirt, so those barmaid aprons I scoop up at the thrift store are great! I am slowly getting some gravel down on the paths I am building, I even have it so I can get a wheelbarrow down there now! As long as I use small loads that don't get away on me!!! ARG! Ya, forgot about those trips with runaway landscaping blocks...NEVER walk in front of a heavy load!!! ha!

Bookmark   February 13, 2013 at 12:27PM
Suzi AKA DesertDance

We just purchased property with 1.4 acres of very rocky sloped hillside that includes a seasonal stream at the bottom, and part of the next hill up!

A cell phone is mandatory, and crossing the slope instead of a direct decent is important. A big walking stick is on my list.

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 2:39PM
More Discussions
Erosion on Backyard hillside
We are looking for some suggestions to stop the erosion...
Victoriabyers123
GA Backyard HIllside Help
My wife and I purchased our first home back in October...
zgordon
Hillside Erosion Help
I have been battling a erosion in my back yard for...
patrickcoastal
suggestion for stopping or slowing down rain water on hill
Hello friends, Feel frustrated now, After finished...
dhaval
Planting pockets for steep slope?
I've been mulling over how to plant something on my...
cakbu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™