Sunshine Dill Pickles

another_buffalo(6)April 13, 2013

A restaurant owner was telling me today how he made sunshine dill pickles for the restaurant, that folks loved them, and they were crispy as they had never been cooked. It sits in the sun for up to three weeks.

I googled it and found LOTS of recipes for sunshine pickes. The recipes looked something like this:

SUNSHINE PICKLES
3 qts. water
1 qt. vinegar
1 c. salt
1 head of dill or 1 tsp. dill seed per qt.

Wash cucumbers and pack in jar with dill. Mix water, vinegar and salt. Bring to boiling point and pour over cucumbers. Add 1/4 teaspoon alum for firmness and garlic for a different flavor. Set under a shade tree for 3 or 4 weeks and they are ready to eat.

Has anyone tried this? Any thoughts on food safety?
Carol

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
malna

My mom and grandmother made something similar. My grandmother's recipe is:

Dissolve 3/4 cup pickling salt in 1 gallon warm water. In a crock, layer a good amount of cucumbers (she left them whole, but slit them through the middle so the brine would get into the center), a generous amount of dill and garlic cloves. Cover with the salt water solution and place a piece of rye bread on top. Leave in the sun for a least 5 days (cover with cheesecloth or a tea towel to keep out the bugs). When satisfied with the taste, put them in the fridge with the strained brine and some fresh dill if you want. I do love these pickles, and still make one batch a year to keep the "tradition" going :-) I don't can them - refrigerator storage only, but they do keep for quite a while. I add some vinegar to the brine when storing, but I like "vinegary" pickles.

Linked below is an old thread about these types of pickles as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sun-Fermented Dill Pickles

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 1:12PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
another_buffalo(6)

Thank you, Malna for the link. I did not realize this was what is called a fermented pickle. That link pretty much tells me all I need to know.
Carol

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 4:17PM
More Discussions
Canning Bacon ?
I just watched a video on another forum of someone...
scunningham
Sterilizing jars and tools
Hello, I think I'm getting a little neurotic about...
giddyupgo
Making Garlic or Herb Infused Oils at Home
Now that I figured out the new format, I can post this...
malna
Who uses the foodsaver?
I haven't canned in several years. I've been gardening...
nancyjane_gardener
Have you made sweet & sour Indian lemon pickles?
I have made north African preserved lemons several...
veeta
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™