Butterfly bushes on a hill

mediadiva(Zone 7)July 17, 2008

I just had my yard/hill landscaped and they planted 15 butterfly bushes on the hill as I said I wanted a "wildflower" look without too much maintance. I'm very excited about it, but I am wondering how should I trim them in the fall so that they grow well on the hill? Do I take the most off from the top to keep it growing "out"?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bob64(6)

Not exactly sure. My understanding, for what it is worth, is that butterfly bushes can take a very hard pruning.

Bookmark   July 23, 2008 at 12:03AM
melissas(z6PA)

I have butterfly bushes on my very steep, very large hill. I am in zone 6 and cut mine back hard in the spring (down to 6" tall). It is very drastic, but I do it for 2 reasons: in the years I've been too lazy to cut them back the weight of the plant leaning down the hill will start to pull the bush out of the ground; and the branches grow wildly out of control and don't look nearly as nice (smaller blooms) if I don't cut them back. It's just my opinion, but I'd cut them back. You might want to check with your landscaper.

Bookmark   August 18, 2008 at 7:25PM
andrea_san_diego(z10 So Cal)

I have butterfly bushes on a hill in my backyard that get 10' to 15' tall and as wide. Once a year I have my gardener cut them down to the ground with a chain saw and within 2 months they are 4' tall and beautiful. You can be brutal. They are very tough once established.

Bookmark   July 14, 2009 at 3:36PM
More Discussions
Steep front yard hill?
We have a very steep front yard hill that I have no...
garden-of-simple
Steep, rocky large backyard a disaster
I have a large backyard that has a few fruit trees...
jcc321
What kind of weed barrier can I put on a 45 degree hill?
Hi, What kind of weed barrier can I put on a 45 degree...
jrobertsz66
Hillside Erosion
I have a serious problem that my city calls a common...
empressb
Plants for Swampy Hill
What low maintenance plants would be good for a hill...
edlincoln
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™