Help needed!

sewcrazynurse(MI zone 5)April 22, 2012

Years ago when I first started canning I got the best recipes from this site or sites recommeded to me by the ladies on this site. Since then I ahve been divorced and have lost all of my recipes and some of them were pretty darn good too!

So where can I start collecting recipes again. I would like meals in jars when possible

thank you for all of your help

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
malna

Maybe start with the Greatest Hits thread linked below, and list any others not in there where you remember bits and pieces so to speak (name, ingredients, or whatever) and I'm sure someone here can point you in the right direction!

Here is a link that might be useful: Greatest Hits for Leesa

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 1:36PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

"Meals in jars" are iffy. There aren't many tested and approved ones, even for pressure canning, and none I can think of for BWB canning. There are the classics of course, chili, beef stew, beef in wine sauce and soups.

The Leesa's thread malna linked is the best place to start here. Have you got the Ball Blue Book or the Ball Complete Book?

Dave

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 3:28PM
sewcrazynurse(MI zone 5)

I think I have a copy of the ball blue book. I also managed to get a bunch of my books in the divorce so I will have to go through them and see what I can find. I also wonder about the library.

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 8:52PM
jill2761(Southeast Texas)

The library might not be your best choice. Mine has a number of canning and preserving books that date back to the 70's--definitely not up to date. Your library may be different, so just be aware.

My favorite books are So Easy to Preserve, Ball Complete, Ball Blue Book. There are other good ones, but those are my "go-to" books on home food preservation.

For "meals in a jar" I make spaghetti sauce (some with meat, some without), different soups, and chili, using the approved recipes. There may be some other good ones that I haven't tried, but these are my standbys.

Jill

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 2:31AM
More Discussions
what i put up 2015
Looks like it's time to start this thread again, so...
misskimmie
Freezing stuffed peppers?
I have sooo many beautiful sweet peppers and quite...
aka_peggy
Starting my own recipe
I love to cook, so how do I preserve my own recipes...
newatcanning
Canning Bacon ?
I just watched a video on another forum of someone...
scunningham
Mason jar sale!
I was just at K-Mart (Niles, Ohio) and they have a...
dellr
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™