Rosemary Help

AphroditesMuse(8)May 4, 2013

Last year early to mid summer I got a, maybe six inch long, rosemary cutting from a friend. I was able to root it in water and when I planted it, it had a ton of long roots. It has been outdoors since late summer, early fall, and still hasn't died yet, after an extremely mild winter in the Northwest, but it still hasn't grown. I noticed when I planted it that the roots had grown, but the above ground portion of the plant is still a little stick. It has a few yellow leaves around the bottom, the top is vibrant green and it's been like that for as long as I can remember, but it still wont grow any larger. How can I help it grow on a budget?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Well it wouldn't grow over the autumn and winter anyway, so that's not a surprise. Rosemary is a woody shrub and by their nature this type of plant grows much slower than annuals or herbaceous perennials. As long as the roots are steadily establishing I wouldn't worry about visible top growth. If it has grown a couple of inches by the end of this year it is doing fine. The bottom leaves will naturally yellow and fall because even evergreens have to renew their foliage. Again that's not a problem unless all the leaves start yellowing.

Bookmark   May 4, 2013 at 5:08AM
AphroditesMuse(8)

Thank you, this is exactly what I needed to know! :)

Bookmark   May 4, 2013 at 5:55AM
wally_1936(8b)

I do not know about others but my Rosemary did not really get started until the second year. As I love Rosemary I have started to keep taking cuttings as I can not have too many plants, if I do I can always find a new home for the extras.

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 9:55AM
AphroditesMuse(8)

Thanks for the heads up. I started some seeds before I knew how difficult they were to grow. I think I'm going to buy a more mature plant while I try to work my magic on the cutting and seeds. :)

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 6:12PM
zzackey(8b GA)

If the bottom leaves are yellow it means they need fertilizer.

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 6:22PM
More Discussions
Leaning Basil
I have this basil I grew from a cutting and since I...
Shower-MayFlower
African blue basil
I live in central TN and am looking for an African...
rksamon
Reputable seed company
For those who buy their seeds, who do you consider...
martini100_gw
Have you heard of "Orange Mint?"
I just saw this variety of mint as a small plant being...
peterk312
Cilantro indoors
How do I grow cilantro indoors? I'm in Colorado for...
timetraveler
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™