Help with large and steep hills- dealing with erosion

ewigerginkgoAugust 27, 2008

Hello!

IÂm a student at Ohio Wesleyan University hoping to get some tips on dealing with erosion! OWU is taking efforts to go green as part of our National Colloquium, a program that invites in speakers and shows films revolving around a theme. This year theyÂve also added on the requirement of having student-led groups that are following their own "green" ambitions. IÂm leading a group thatÂs focusing on the plant life and improving OWUÂs plant care, but I wanted to piggy-back in fixing a few of the larger erosion problems on campus since the plants can assist in that. I have two areas that I want to look into repairing, but I wanted to get some tips/ideas from people who have a better idea on how to do this sort of thing! I have no idea what sort of cost restraint IÂm going to be under, so IÂm leaning towards trying to keep costs down, if only initially.

The first area I want to fix is along the main campus walkway, which goes down a large hill, and has deep ruts in it from rain. It currently has stone and some plants in it, but the washing-out is still occurring.

The other area is behind an academic area on a steep hill where grass is refusing to grow because of the shade trees. The trees all have a large amount of root exposure.

Any help/tips/ideas would be highly appreciated!!

Area 1:

Area 2:

Thank you in advance!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bob64(6)

I'm not sure what kind of tree that is. With some trees, having the roots that way is normal and healthy. Some trees suffer if their surface roots are buried so research that before laying on a lot of soil. The water coming off of the pavement has a lot of velocity. Porous pavement is very green but expensive. Conceptually, look up things like french drains and water bars. You can also surf Erosion Control magazine for free on the web. Also check websites for Ohio's department of transportation and department of environmental protection (or whatever the equivalent departments are in Ohio).

Here is a link that might be useful: Erosion Control magazine

Bookmark   September 2, 2008 at 8:30PM
ewigerginkgo

Thank you so much for the help!!

Bookmark   September 12, 2008 at 11:09PM
kclark7273

When we built our cabin a few years ago, my husband had some 33c brought in and dumped in our hillside to prevent erosion. I've completed most of my other beds and am ready to tackle that hillside now. But...I have no idea if anything will grow in 33c - and it would be impossible to remove it.

He says 33c is crushed limestone and crushed shells, but I can't find it defined anywhere.

Does anyone know what 33c is. And secondly, what, if anything, will grow in it? I really only want to contain the erosion and cover the ugly 33c - it's not in an area that HAS to flower, but it would be nice.

Bookmark   April 15, 2009 at 11:51PM
More Discussions
What kind of weed barrier can I put on a 45 degree hill?
Hi, What kind of weed barrier can I put on a 45 degree...
jrobertsz66
Steep, rocky large backyard a disaster
I have a large backyard that has a few fruit trees...
jcc321
Hillside Erosion
I have a serious problem that my city calls a common...
empressb
Hillside Erosion Help
I have been battling a erosion in my back yard for...
patrickcoastal
erosion control
Need some help- I have a west facing steep slope. Retaining...
luann_2006
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™