let's here it for the hillside people

susiebuckhouse(6)August 18, 2006

FINALLY! We are a special breed, so it is fitting that we have our own forum. All gardening is hard work, but unless you have stood on a hillside for hours, bent over, legs stretched, knees locked, butt up, back broke, you don't have a clue. I should buy stock in an ibuprofin company. This year has been very hard, with the hot spells that we had. I just couldn't do it. So now, I am paying the price. I have weeds that are now trees and creeping roses that attack, when you go near them. What a mess! I really need to simplify that entire front hillside. If you are from Pittsburgh, you all know what hillside gardening is really like. It is like gardening on a alpine slope, you try to stand erect, but gravity just won't allow it. Next year I'm getting out there early and remulching every inch!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeanner(SW Ohio - Z6)

And the backflips when the weed you are tugging on suddenly lets go!

I paid the price this year from neglecting the garden last summer. I hauled in 10 yds of mulch and still didn't get done - where does it all go????

Bookmark   August 20, 2006 at 9:12AM
hosta_freak(z6 NC)

I can't tell you how many times I have fallen down,while planting hostas on the side of a hill! I have slid down,tipped over,and piched forward. Sometimes,when the red clay is wet,I just skid down the hill! Hillside gardening is a real challenge! HF

Bookmark   September 1, 2006 at 3:42PM
rosebush(z7 NC)

Can relate to all of the above. HF - Very glad no one is around when I go sliding down a wet hillside! This red clay can be hazardous to one's pride (and backside!). :)

Bookmark   September 10, 2006 at 9:29PM
lyn_r(z6 OH)

All of the above!! But I would not trade my Southern Ohio hill for any other place in the world!! :-)

Bookmark   September 10, 2006 at 11:36PM
melissas(z6PA)

I cannot tell you how happy I am to have this forum. I, too, have gone tumbling down my hill. We built on the top of a hill for the view, and I wouldn't trade it for the world. But it is a lot tougher gardening here than I thought it would be.

Bookmark   September 11, 2006 at 6:29PM
More Discussions
suggestion for stopping or slowing down rain water on hill
Hello friends, Feel frustrated now, After finished...
dhaval
what to plant on hill
I've always wanted a beautiful artsy garden and now...
tray_c72
Hillside Erosion
I have a serious problem that my city calls a common...
empressb
Dry, sloughing hillside retention? No sun.
I will attach a pic. What is happening is the shared...
fireweed22
Reclaiming a hill - need suggestions
Posted this in the Landscape Design forum first, before...
kenallgood
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™