Looking for a couple of recipes

gardengalrn(5KS)April 17, 2013

I searched but didn't find what I was looking for. Last year someone here talked about some pink kraut they had made from red cabbage and I think some apples and it sounded divine. I would like that recipe if the original poster or anyone else would like to share again.

Also, I always make some plain sour pickles that taste the closest to what my grandmother used to do. It is basically cider vinegar, dry mustard, salt, sugar and some sort of crisper. The original recipe calls for alum but I now use pickle fresh. I keep them in the fridge as there were no canning instructions at the time. If I could find the original recipe and give measurements, I was hoping someone could tell me if I could can them or not. I use mostly vinegar since I like them pretty stout.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

On the pickles it would depend on the ratio of water to vinegar used and the mustard powder. It has a few restrictions associated with it.

The kraut was John's and is in with his 'gloves' posts. I see if I can pull it up for you. It is basically just red cabbage used instead of green in the standard kraut recipe. You can add diced apples to any kraut recipe.

Dave

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 4:05PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Here you go just scroll down through the recipes to it.

Here is a link that might be useful: John_show_me recipes

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 4:10PM
gardengalrn(5KS)

Oh, thanks a bunch! I'm actually going to try some of his other recipes as well.

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 8:18AM
More Discussions
Probably a Cooking Forum question
I never go to that forum and I know several here who...
gardengalrn
Sterilizing jars and tools
Hello, I think I'm getting a little neurotic about...
giddyupgo
Jerusalem artichokes
Hi, I harvested my Jerusalem artichokes and brushed...
jokuehn
Is GMO corn cobs safe for corn cob jelly?
This is the time around here that the farmers are picking...
myfamilysfarm
Making Garlic or Herb Infused Oils at Home
Now that I figured out the new format, I can post this...
malna
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™