How to handle a steep slope in the backyard

subdivisiongardenerAugust 12, 2007

My problem is a steep slope at the end of my backyard. We have an almost level backyard for about 15ft, and then the ground drops for about 30 ft to a natural buffer creek. The iron fence provided by our builder lies lower than the flat area of our backyard. There is a narrow berm at the foot of the fence (on the usable side) that we have to maintain (just weed and keep clean) as part of our covenants-agreement.

I am looking for some advice here as to what would be a better solution for a safety barrier here. A fence or a hedge? My issues:

1. Need some kind of a barrier that would stop our dog from falling off the cliff.

2. Need permanent access to the other side of the barrier to maintain the berm.

3. Our subdivision is graded to follow rain gardening, so i need to be mindful of the original grading too.

I know that if it were an upward sloping backyard, I can use retianing walls.... But what about a downward sloping cliff?

I will post some pictures to give an idea of my dilemma. But, meanwhile, just wanted to shoot the question out, to get the answers started!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeanner(SW Ohio - Z6)

So the primary reason for the barrier is to keep the dog from falling down the cliff? Can you use an electric dog fence for awhile to train the dog to stay back?

We built a "look out" deck on the top of our ridge and the railing extends across the rest of the ridge as fencing. We used non-obtrusive ballisters so as not to obscure the view. Would something like that fit in?

Bookmark   August 13, 2007 at 11:10PM
More Discussions
GA Backyard HIllside Help
My wife and I purchased our first home back in October...
zgordon
Front yard hill and deer
After years of thinking about what I'd like to do with...
sujiwan_gw
VERY steep hill in backyard...need suggestions pls
Hi there, I am new to this website and posted this...
taraleigh
Erosion on Backyard hillside
We are looking for some suggestions to stop the erosion...
Victoriabyers123
Reclaiming a hill - need suggestions
Posted this in the Landscape Design forum first, before...
kenallgood
Sponsored Products
Modena Grey/Off-White 6-piece Wicker Sectional
Overstock.com
Aero 7 Piece Outdoor Patio Sectional Set in Espresso Turquoise
$1,399.00 | LexMod
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Fireside Patio Mats Rugs Cranberry Sunrise 6 ft. x
$54.99 | Home Depot
Red Cedar 32" Wide 5' Cross Legged Picnic Table with (2) 5' Cross Legged Benches
Fifthroom.com
Kim Seybert Pitcher
$41.00 | FRONTGATE
Sunnydaze Durable "C" Stand for Hanging Hammock Chairs, 84 Inch Tall
SerenityHealth
White Churchill Pot Set
$14.99 | zulily
Radiax 2700K 60-Degree 4-Watt LED Rich Bronze Flood Light
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™