Pickling cukes

Thr1ceup0natime(7)April 12, 2013

Hi! I've never done any kind of canned veggies/fruits before so I figured I needed some help. I bought the burpee pickler hybrid and some ms.wages fast dill pickle mix for my first time. It says the pickles are edible after 24 hours but in order to fully get the flavor , what's the longest I can leave the cukes in the juice after canning until I can't eat them anymore? What time is best? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dgkritch(Z8 OR)

If your pickles have been processed properly, they'll technically last indefinitely. However, after a year or so, they will suffer textural change (softening) and possibly darkening, depending on storage conditions. They will still be safe to eat though.
Normally, the recommendation is to wait 4-6 weeks to allow the brine to fully penetrate the cuke.
I haven't used the Mrs. Wages, but I believe it's just a seasoning packet so won't change the timing.

I would definitely wait more than 24 hours!

If these are NOT processed pickles (i.e. stored in the refrigerator), they should be good for a week or two at least. What was the vinegar/water ratio?

Deanna

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 8:54AM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Deanna the Mrs. Wages mixes contain citric acid and claim proper acidity levels are lab tested and approved.

I have tried a couple of their different mixes with good results although if processed and used with purchased cukes rather than fresh harvested ones they do tend to the soft side. I prefer to add Pickle Crisp to them or make them for fridge storage only.

Dave

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 11:53AM
Thr1ceup0natime(7)

Yes they are going to be fresh grown. It says they mature in about 53 days. The package says it makes 7 quarts. 9-11 lbs of pickling cukes, 3 1/2 cups white vinegar 5% acidity, 7 1/3 cups water and the package of mix. I like softer pickles but I want them to be super flavorful so I didn't really know how was recommended for the pickles to soak in the brine. :-) I can't wait! Now after I jar them cause it says I need to use the boiling water bath canner method, after they cool it says to chill to enhance flavors and crispness. So It's recommended to usually leave them for 4-6 weeks for best flavor then?thanks!

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 12:30PM
More Discussions
Roasting previously frozen peppers
Has anyone had any experience either oven roasting...
ekgrows
preserving venison
I have questions for those of you that harvest and...
KSprairie
what i put up 2015
Looks like it's time to start this thread again, so...
misskimmie
Cranberry Vinegar
Every few years I make a batch of cranberry vinegar...
CA Kate
Classico jars are back!
They changed the lid form back to a standard canning...
thatcompostguy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™