Shade herbs versus sun herbs...

megajas(z7 VA)May 14, 2007

Hello,

I have an area in my backyard that I am going to lattice-fence off into my herb garden as raised beds.. unfortunately, after studying this area, it appears to be mostly shade ... some sun during portions of the day in early morning & late afternoon. So, I want to try and find out which herbs will do well in this setting and which I should relegate to my sunnier beds. The herbs I'm interested in at this time are: Rosemary, parsley, sage, thyme, basil, oregano, cilantro, chives, garlic, beebalm, calendula, nasturtium, borage and catmint/mints.

-Bonnie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Heathen1(10a)

Well, it's too late for you to plant garlic, that will need to be planted in the fall. The only thing that I can think of in your list that can take such a low amount of sun would be the mints and maybe the basil. The rest, would do best in full sun. Virginia has hot summers, over 80º right? I think the cilantro and the parsley will bolt. both of those are winter plants for me.

Bookmark   May 14, 2007 at 12:00PM
Daisyduckworth(Aust)

Except for the parsley and coriander (sorry, I can't get used to the Spanish/Mexican translation!) and the mints (not the catmint), which can tolerate some shade, the rest are sunlovers (sorry Heathen, basil does best in full sun).

Here in the subtropics, coriander will bolt even in winter. I've got my parsley (curly and Italian) both in full sun, and they don't bolt. Mints burn in the sun, here.

Gee, 80F is 26C. And that's our average daytime temp right now - only a couple of weeks away from winter! Hot for some, maybe, but not for me, and not for any of the plants (except coriander) you want to grow!!

Bookmark   May 14, 2007 at 6:29PM
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

Cilantro likes total shade and a bit cooler than 80 degrees.

Bookmark   May 14, 2007 at 6:52PM
nygardener(z6 New York)

Try sweet cicely, a nice anise-flavored shade-loving herb. Sweet woodruff is good for scent (dried) and as a garnish for apple pies.

Bookmark   May 14, 2007 at 7:28PM
Heathen1(10a)

basil fries in full sun at my house... I have to give it mostly shade. I live in a mediterranean climate, on the hot side. I have this discussion a lot. Full sun tropicals have to be in shade at my house too, or they look so burnt the poor things.

Bookmark   May 14, 2007 at 7:36PM
More Discussions
Mitsuba and perilla
I have tried growing mitsuba and a few types of perilla...
rozenkruetz
African blue basil
I live in central TN and am looking for an African...
rksamon
thyme as a house plant
HAPPY 2015 with snow on the ground (just a dusting)...
mauri256
Whats wrong with my basil????
I am struggling with this fussy creature... Just after...
mohort
Mold on Dirt
Couple of questions. I am using the Burpee Greenhouses...
jaltman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™