erosion control

luann_2006September 16, 2006

Need some help- I have a west facing steep slope. Retaining wall at the bottom. Riverfront. There is vegetation on the hill but mostly weeds. Was planning on putting down a landscaping barrier for weed control. We were told by some other waterfront owners that a good erosion control method is a product that is basically plastic w/ woven hay. We were going to put this on top of the weed barrier, then plant junipers and organic mulch around the junipers. Not sure about putting both weed barrier and roll? Any thoughts??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nil13(z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Washington))

Zone?

Bookmark   July 11, 2012 at 2:02AM
edlincoln(6A)

Keep in mind that a lot of the qualities that make weeds a nuisance make them great for erosion control...plants that send out roots or stems in all directions can be "weedy" but the roots hold down the soil. (In Europe poison ivy has been planted for erosion control) If the slope is too steep the mulch could fall down this hill.

In theory, native grasses and especially American Beach Grass are the best erosion control.

Juniper is a decent choice. I kind of like spreading, suckering plants like Virginia Rose and Beach Plum, however. You can plant fewer, and hey will spread.

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 2:10PM
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

Ideally, you could put down an erosion control/barrier that would stay in place for a year or so while your plantings take hold and start to spread, but then the barrier would break down. I'm imagining something like large rolls of burlap that could be held down with ground staples with holes cut in spots to plant through. I know there are water permeable weed barriers, but I don't know how long they stay around. I would encourage some spreading vines or ground covers, preferably native, so they would be more likely to thrive with minimal care.

Martha

Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 4:30PM
geosinindo

dont worry i have been a same problem, you can use geotextile to retaining soil keep strength

Here is a link that might be useful: geotextile

Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 4:25AM
More Discussions
Front yard hill and deer
After years of thinking about what I'd like to do with...
sujiwan_gw
Retaining walls on terrace?
I'm trying to learn more about building a vegetable...
anjp
Best mulch for a hill?
Does anyone have a "best" mulch? One that...
dainaadele
Hillside Erosion
I have a serious problem that my city calls a common...
empressb
Erosion on Backyard hillside
We are looking for some suggestions to stop the erosion...
Victoriabyers123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™