help with slope nightmare

gjmanciniOctober 28, 2007

I have a slope all around the front of my home that looked like the earlier post that is covered with junipers. The junipers have been removed and the ground is covered with aprox 2-3" of pine needles, below that is 2" landscape rock mixed with dirt and weeds.I tried pulling the weeds, its disasterous. There is a heavy plastic aprox 6 inches below. How can I resolve this problem without having to remove layer after layer of material. I tried killing some of the weeds with round up this summer before the junipers were out, but they keep returning. Weeds between the rock is a nightmare.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bob64(6)

Total eradication of weeds will probably never happen but you can knock them back dramatically with repeatedly pulling up, digging up, cutting back or spraying. Some weeds are more effectively killed with Roundup at different times of the year. For instance, some plants take in Roundup more in the fall when they are starting to pull sap down instead of pushing it up. You will have to research your weeds.

Bookmark   November 5, 2007 at 10:28AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mlevie

Nature abhors a vacuum--if you remove the junipers, weeds will colonize the site. You'll have to plant something else if you want to keep the weeds at bay. You can solve this problem in a few ways, but here's what I'd do:

1) Spray the existing weeds with full-strength vinegar to kill the tops.
2) Mulch heavily with maybe another 3" of pine needles or bark. Laying black weed fabric underneath this mulch will help.
3) In spring, as soon as the frosts are over, plant a very hardy native groundcover.
4) Use vinegar to control weeds until the groundcover fills in.

Another alternative is what I've seen called a "lasagna mulch." You basically lay newspaper or cardboard over the area to smother the weeds, and then layer green and brown compost over it and just plant right into the mulch.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lasagna mulch

Bookmark   November 12, 2007 at 1:14PM
More Discussions
erosion control
Need some help- I have a west facing steep slope. Retaining...
luann_2006
Front yard hill and deer
After years of thinking about what I'd like to do with...
sujiwan_gw
Steep front yard hill?
We have a very steep front yard hill that I have no...
garden-of-simple
Plants for Swampy Hill
What low maintenance plants would be good for a hill...
edlincoln
GA Backyard HIllside Help
My wife and I purchased our first home back in October...
zgordon
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™