how long after processing are pickles ready?

greenthumbnick(8b)May 28, 2008

How long after I process cucumber pickles should I wait to try them? This goes for fresh packed, fermented, and refridgerator pickles?

I'm wanting to try a few recipes out and I dont want to wait months to see if I like it.

Thanks,

Nick

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dgkritch(Z8 OR)

Usually between 4-8 weeks. Depends on the recipe.
Can you post the one you used?

Deanna

Bookmark   May 28, 2008 at 1:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

Fresh pack, are a little different from fermented and refrigerator types. The fresh packs start out that way, and you fill the jars with a brine, either for fermentation or pickling. They can be all vinegar and water, or salt and water, or both. In any casees, if there are herbs added like dill and garlic, the time you wait for te cukes to soak up can vary, depending on when they see refrigeration. I make a fermented ones, that are done after aboutr two days at room temperature. They get placed in the fridge with a small amount of added vinegar. Last night, I opened my last half gallon jar of half sours and must say they were almost as crunchy as when they were made last summer. Heat processing is only done, if you plan to store at room temps, and refrigerate after opening. In any case, always TASTE the pickling brine before filling the fresh packed jars. The term 'fresh pack', means the cukes are washed, end tips cut off, and/or sliced, and packed into jars. Its the rest of the recipe that can vary, from pouring a seasoned vinegar water pickling brine, to a salt and water room temperature brine. After about 2 weeks, the cukes can take in some of the flavors of the brine. My grandmother made gallon jars of half sour pickles that never even made it to the fridge. She filled the jar with fresh pickling cukes and some fresh dill and garlic, and by diner time, my grandfather was eating them. She would add more cukes about every couple of days, and take out the older cukes to fill newer ones below. After a week, the brine was tossed as it was getting cloudy and suseptable to mold on the surface. Any leftover pickles were in a bowl in the fridge. She would then start another batch. Depending on the recipes and pickling process, the waiting time can be a few days to several weeks.

Bookmark   May 28, 2008 at 1:49PM
More Discussions
You can't just tell me I can't use half gallon jars....
..... for canning anything but juice, and that I can't...
farmerboybill
corn canning compound
I have heard about a compound made by the druggist...
grannyf
If I ever add hot peppers to my canning again I hopesomeone slaps my
hands........if I ever can again ....I will never add...
jeanwedding
Jerusalem artichokes
Hi, I harvested my Jerusalem artichokes and brushed...
jokuehn
Roasted Tomato Garlic Soup
I had about 20 - 1 gallon bags filled with tomatoes...
SuzyQ2
Sponsored Products
NHL 12 x 15 in. Loui Eriksson Dallas Stars Player Plaque - 1215LERIKSSON
$32.99 | Hayneedle
Prague Rectangular Outdoor Coffee Table - Black, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Fresca Torino 36" Espresso Modern Bathroom Vanity with Integrated Sink
Modern Bathroom
Design Element Waterfall 36" Bathroom Vanity - Espresso
Modern Bathroom
Madison Monster Cuddly Buddies Pillow
$24.99 | zulily