Oregano plants

WendyTee(7)May 8, 2013

I have some Oregano plants that survived through the Winter. They are very big and healthy. Are the leaves as good for cooking (by good, I mean flavorful) the second year? I am wondering the same thing about my parsley plants. They don't look quite as healthy as the Oregano plants.

This post was edited by WendyTee on Wed, May 8, 13 at 9:05

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Oregano is perennial and will come back year after year. Parsley is biennial and will sometimes survive the winter into its second year when it will flower and go to seed. It might self sow but it is safest to resow parsley every year.

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 1:46PM
bvisailor

OMG, my oregano is taking over our whole yard after 3 years! It escaped its raised bed and is popping up through the pavers of the patio, so I cook with it at every available turn! Will be making oregano pesto this year, any plenty of it!

Second-year parsley is certainly "good" to cook with, but it won't give you many leaves before it bolts, flowers. & seeds.

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 8:30PM
gjcore

My parsley generally lasts about 2+ months in it's 2nd year before going to seed. I harvest as much of it as I can. I find it tasty.

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 8:36PM
More Discussions
Reputable seed company
For those who buy their seeds, who do you consider...
martini100_gw
My attempt at potting rosemary
So I attempted to take some of those already started...
dbobul
Cuttings from thyme
I wonder, I live in Zone 6 and my thyme plant has made...
Steve349
Growing herbs
Hi all new to this gardening so want as someone something. I...
margowicz
Whats wrong with my basil????
I am struggling with this fussy creature... Just after...
mohort
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™