Help For Hubby, Please

iam3killerbs(7 NC Sandhills)May 20, 2009

My husband would like to add anise, caraway, fennel, and coriander to his herb garden -- all for seed production.

They seem to be fairly sizeable plants and our garden space is limited. How much seed might we expect a reasonably healthy plant to produce?

I can use 1-2 cups of caraway seed cooking in a year and maybe 1/2-1 cup each of the others.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cyrus_gardner(8)

I do not have a figure ,but I know that you can have much much more than enough for planting next year and years after that but maybe not eough for colinary use. last year I collected about one third spice bottle of seeds from one dill plant. That was an average plant.

Bookmark   May 20, 2009 at 9:57PM
CA Kate

You would need quite a few plants to get that much seed. But remember, you can put these herb plants in amoungst your border flowers if needed where they are quite pretty and add another demension to your flower beds.

Suggestion: When the seedheads start to set seed (green) I always carefully enclose the heads in small paper bags or bags made from nylon stockings to keep the seeds from falling off when ripe.

Or, you can watch them carefully, and when the seeds start to change color pull the whole plant and put the heads of each kind upside down in a paper bags to finish ripening and drying.

Bookmark   May 21, 2009 at 12:44PM
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Conditions, plant variations, and plant varieties will all make seed production hard for me to crystal-ball exactly for you. But I'd have to guess 6-12 plants should maybe get you in the ballpark for the amounts you are looking for.

Westelle gave some good advice. Many people have dedicated garden beds - flowers here, herbs there, veggies some place else. But some plants, like the herbs you mentioned, are quite attractive mixed in other garden beds. Just be sure to use no chemicals in places you wish to harvest food items from.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   May 21, 2009 at 8:00PM
iam3killerbs(7 NC Sandhills)

Thanks.

I've got tomatoes and eggplant in my flower beds due to a shortage of space, but we can probably manage to find space for a few of them.

It will be a start.

Bookmark   May 21, 2009 at 8:40PM
More Discussions
My attempt at potting rosemary
So I attempted to take some of those already started...
dbobul
Reputable seed company
For those who buy their seeds, who do you consider...
martini100_gw
When can you plant Cilantro seeds in your Garden?
I'm in Zone 5, I know Cilantro can tolerate some cool...
jd101
Cilantro indoors
How do I grow cilantro indoors? I'm in Colorado for...
timetraveler
I need help in mulching
What kind of mulch should I use in my herb garden?? my...
Keith Peñaflorida
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™