dry waterfall project - early stage
I also have a hill in the back yard. I cut the grass once, and that was it. I decided to turn it into a large hill side garden. I could not really picture it, but I had the excavator in for some other work, so I decided to start some digging. This is a before and after picture. I know the after does not look like much now and needs work. It has been cleaned up since the pic was taken.
After I tell people this is a DRY water fall, they ask "where is the water". Not everybody understands.
Here is the process I used. I killed the grass with Foundup. I only did enough digging to move the soil I needed to move. The dead grass prevented any serious errosion. I placed large rocks on the hill and made paths going up both sides of the dry waterfall and have since added a bridge to cross it. I covered everything with wood mulch to keep weeds from growing and to help with errosion. I then started planting a combination of bulbs, perennials and shrubs.
Since the hill is a bit away from the house, but quite visible from inside, I plan to use large clumps of the same plant so the color effect can be seen from the house.
I decided not to terrace the hill since I think it will show much better from a distance if the slope remains. And it costs a lot less.