Hardy Hib. Want to get cuttings

ippymiss(6)July 31, 2008

Hi, I have a Hardy Hibiscus (dinner plate) and I want to start more cuttings. Is it too late in the summer to do this?

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c375/ippymiss/100_0518.jpg

this is last years picture and this year it is twice as big and starting to bloom .

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ippymiss(6)

This spring I pulled some starts and got one to come up, I really do want to fill my hillside up with them. Im afraid to cut anything right now, as it is getting ready to bloom. Last fall I cut some and put in water and they died, not sure what to do. I am not very good with seeds and not to sure as to what to do with them or even when to start the seeds. HELP!

I have a very green thumb but do not want to hurt my bush.

Bookmark   August 1, 2008 at 8:57AM
gansn(z7 AL)

it's really too late to take cuttings. The ends are not soft enough to root. Hibiscus seeds are not that hard to get started. I usually plant some in gallon pots in the fall and leave on my porch. They germinate in early spring.

In the spring I can pull off a mostly dead branch, trying to get it out of the dirt and if I break it off so that there is some green at the bottom, I can put it in a pot of dirt and it will root and grow well.

Bookmark   August 5, 2008 at 12:10AM
palmfan(z7/8NJ)

I respectfully disagree. I think one can easily root hibiscus cuttings at this time of year. Place your cuttings in potting or seed starting mix. Put the pots under an overturned fish tank in a shady spot with a bit of dappled sunlight. Avoid direct sun or your cuttings WILL be toast. I have rooted hardy hibiscus cuttings quite easily during the summer, and I am planning to root some more very soon. I have a good assortment of tropical, subtropical and hardy varieties that all winter outdoors here in southern New Jersey (zone 7/8) in lower Cape May County. I have always treasured these links to the tropics!

Bookmark   August 5, 2008 at 10:34PM
More Discussions
Project time
finally decided to pull the trigger and build a little...
merkity
new website format not fun
I really don't like the new format...
merkity
Slow growing Hibiscus seedling
Hello, This past April, I planted about 6 hibiscus...
hueylewisfan12
Rum Runner in winter form
Afternoon! just thought i would share a pic of my Rum...
merkity
Tropical Hibiscus flowers turned from orange to pale yellow
I bought a tropical hibiscus around 4 months ago and...
AmySA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™