Preserving Grape Leaves

nancedar(z7NC)May 2, 2009

There must be some way to can my own grape leaves for Dolmas or Dolmade - the Lebanese/Greek tidbits made up of rice, pine nuts, lemon, dill or mint, and other goodies wrapped in grape leaves and simmered. I find the bottled jars of them in the store at a high price, but I grow organic grapes and there are lots of leaves just waiting for me. Do any of you know how to can them? I'm sure a high amount of lemon juice is called for too to preserve them safely when using a BWB. Just the leaves, not the Dolmas - after those are made they can be frozen but I'd prefer to open my own jar of leaves and make the Dolmas fresh.

Nancy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
readinglady(z8 OR)

These are not as salty as the commercial leaves, so you don't have to soak them after removing from the jar.

Per pint:

About 30 tender, light-green grape leaves
1 quart water
2 tsp. pickling salt
1 cup water plus 1/4 cup lemon juice or 1 1/4 cups water plus 1/2 tsp. citric acid

Bring salt and water to a boil. Blanch leaves 30 seconds. Drain.

Stack leaves in piles of 6. Roll stacks loosely from the side (not the stem or tip). Pack into a pint jar, folding over ends if necessary. (Ball wide-mouth are taller than Kerr.)

In a nonreactive pan bring the water-lemon juice or the water-citric acid combination to a boil. Pour over the rolled leaves, leaving 1/2" headspace. Close jar and process 15 minutes BWB. Or for short-term use, cover and refrigerate.

from "The Joy of Pickling" Linda Ziedrich

Carol

Bookmark   May 2, 2009 at 10:38AM
whynotmi(5/6)

Can it be any variety of grape leaf or are some better than others? I only ask because I think I read somewhere that it was best to use leaves from particular grapes.

Bookmark   May 3, 2009 at 8:50PM
desertbreeze

Well, any grape leaf will do as long as it is large enough to fill and roll and not infested with bugs or sprayed with insecticide.

I like this thread because I was wondering about pickling these things also. I love to use every part of my backyard vineyard. Mostly for wine. I love Dolmadas and make mine in the spring with fresh leaves, and if I can spare some of that lovely grape must, am willing to venture into artisan mustards and Sicilian Mostaccioli.

Bookmark   May 4, 2009 at 1:28PM
nancedar(z7NC)

Thanks for helping me with the method. I made 3 pint jars using Concord grape leaves. Very simple and easy to do. When blanched, the leaves turn to a muddy brown-green. Rolled in the jar they look like wet cigars. LOL

Nancy

Bookmark   May 16, 2009 at 5:37AM
More Discussions
Jamacian Relish Receipe?
I am looking for a receipe for something called Jamacian...
bluejean
What to grind with?
I want to grind up some garlic and some onions to make...
woco
what i put up 2015
Looks like it's time to start this thread again, so...
misskimmie
*&%$#@!!! Marmalade!
After the "Key Lime Rubber Marmalade" and...
gardengrl
First time pressure canning
I am embarrassed to admit I have never pressure canned....
luvncannin
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™