Busy day ends with a rainbow

opnjmprsJuly 13, 2014

I'm always surprised over the amount of crosses that just don't take. My little tub is full of tags from aborted crosses. DH always wonders why I'm so set on making so many crosses this time of year, and it takes up the better part of my morning. Anyway here are some pics from today.

Been waiting for this one to bloom...always a late here is Small World Snow Fox

Small World Dream World

Red Friday looking better than usual here

Atomic Glow

Ledgewood Pansy Eye sdl

Shamrock Shore sdl

Different Pink Lemonade Party Seedling...sorry about the spent taller seedling in the row behind.

Voodoo Magic sdl

Sanford Intermezzo sdl

unidentified sdl

and a rainbow ends the day

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
organic_kitten(8)

I like that unidentified seedling best. And the rainbow is a beauty.
kay

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 9:28PM
mantis__oh

You have a huge house--or is that the neighbor's? I like that Voodoo Magic seedling. Pink Lemonade Party one looks good too. All of the seedlings have interest. Beautiful crimping on Shamrock Shore one.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 10:23PM
maximus7116(MI)

My favorite is the Pink Lemonade Party seedling, and I love the simplicity of Small World Snow Fox. Thanks for the rainbow pic -- first one I've seen this year.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 11:16PM
opnjmprs

Mantis.....the building in the pic is our barn. It's a lot bigger than our house. I just thought it was neat to see the rainbow arching over it, and a few of the dl beds below it.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 11:46PM
Julia NY(6)

Nice space you have but you know, the more space you have, the more you have to grow LOL. Seedlings look good. The Sanford Intermezzo sdl has a nice face.

Julia

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 7:18AM
opnjmprs

Julia....We have 80 acres here. Most of it is dedicated to pasture and crop production. As far as daylilies go, I'm the only one who tends to them, and I've already over extended myself. My most productive seedling bed is already over crowded (which is why some of the seedlings in my pics look like they are down in the foliage), as many of the shorter plants are being invaded by taller growing ones. Makes it very difficult to evaluate some of them. I wish I knew someone nearby who would like to collaborate with the daylilies, maybe take a plot and do some of their own crosses, and help with maintaining the beds. I'm in my 60's now. Between the horses and the daylilies.....well I'm on the go most of the day, and I still have to get a new bed ready for this years crosses. Making beds is easy....keeping them neat and well managed is another. lol

Linda

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 1:29PM
Laura twixanddud(5b MI)

Your seedlings are beautiful, I think I like the last one the best. I love the rainbow picture, very nice!

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 4:06PM
Julia NY(6)

Linda: We have 60+ here so I know exactly the feeling and although it is nice to have all the open space, it leads to expanding the gardens and your right, you have to maintain it.
I'm taking a couple years off from hybridizing and work with what I have once I clean out the one bed and keep what I want.

I'm tackling registered dls this year too. But i still love my garden and time I spend outdoors is golden.:-)

Julia

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 4:35PM
shive(6b TN)

The rainbow shot is fantastic. It looks like Pink Lemonade Party has give you several pretty seedlings. I like both of the other seedlings too!

Debra

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 5:04PM
nat4b(4)

Love the rainbow pic! I saw one here this past Sunday but didn't have my camera with me. Also love all the room :)
Nice flowers and pretty seedlings! Love the last sdlg the best today, and my fave registered ones are Small World Dream World and Atomic Glow.
Red Friday looks nice! I wish it was a little brighter or something not so faded looking.
So, what do you tell your DH (re many crosses)? :)

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 7:35PM
opnjmprs

nat4b.....Hubby is a cross between physics major, very good electrical engineer, add in a strong dash of farmer. Actually he understands my need to explore dl crosses.....though he does grumble about making the new beds. However he won't help with the maintenance at all, and I don't blame him. DL's is my thing....not his.

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 10:13PM
nat4b(4)

I used to ask for new beds as presents :)

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 11:25PM
More Discussions
Ballerina Beautiful- thoughts?
What are people's opinion of Ballerina Beautiful? I'm...
Billi
Suicidal gardenia post OT
Don't know if any of you ever read this. It's worth...
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
Siloam Daylilies ID
OK all you Siloam daylily experts. I have 3 daylilies...
swontgirl_z5a
A Beautiful Spring Day Today
It is typical Alabama weather. Today was mid 70s,...
organic_kitten
Aphids on daylilies
What do you do about aphids on your daylilies? I don't...
ruthz
Sponsored Products
Othello Decorative Rod & Finial Set
$14.99 | zulily
Benton Polished Nickel One-Light Bath Fixture
$750.00 | Bellacor
LED 5" White 15W Retrofit Damp Reflector Diamond Unit
Lamps Plus
Evening Tide Throw Pillow Cover
| Dot & Bo
Untitled Wall Art
Grandin Road