Pepper Jam recipe with pepper in weight

bks76May 16, 2012

Hi all,

As always thanks in advance for any info, I really appreciate it!

I am using already chopped frozen peppers to make jam. Most recipes I see call for either cups of chopped peppers or a certain amount, like 4 chopped peppers. Now, peppers vary in size, and once frozen and if thawed at all, they compress so that 4 cups of thawed peppers will be more than 4 cups of fresh cut peppers. Does anyone have a safe recipe that uses pounds rather than cups?

Alternatively, is there a formula for x pounds of low acid ingredients need x cups of vinegar to acidify safely for jam?

If I used 1 1/3 pounds of peppers would 1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar and 5 cups of Sugar be safe?

Finally, I do not blend my peppers such that there is a variance in how many peppers are in each jar, I try and even it out but sometimes jars get more peppers and sometimes less when I pour in the jam. Could this pose a safety risk?

Oh, one more question. If I make jam and refrigerate (not process in BWB) is there a general rule for safe refrigerated shelf life (6 weeks? 2 weeks?)

Thanks so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Here is one.

Recipes that call for a # of peppers would be same # thawed or fresh. Since yours are already chopped (not sure why you would chop before freezing?) all I can think of is to get a fresh one, chop it, and measure it for comparison.

is there a formula for x pounds of low acid ingredients need x cups of vinegar to acidify safely for jam?

No. Each has to be tested individually.

I used 1 1/3 pounds of peppers would 1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar and 5 cups of Sugar be safe?

Can't say. It would just be a guess.

Finally, I do not blend my peppers such that there is a variance in how many peppers are in each jar, I try and even it out but sometimes jars get more peppers and sometimes less when I pour in the jam. Could this pose a safety risk?

Not if it is properly acidified when made. The pH level would be uniform.

If I make jam and refrigerate (not process in BWB) is there a general rule for safe refrigerated shelf life (6 weeks? 2 weeks?)

If using a tested and approved recipe then in theory it should be safe from anything but molds. The general guideline is 3-6 weeks but that is open to all sorts of variables. Processing eliminates any concerns.

Dave

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 6:57PM
More Discussions
Canning Bacon ?
I just watched a video on another forum of someone...
scunningham
*&%$#@!!! Marmalade!
After the "Key Lime Rubber Marmalade" and...
gardengrl
First time pressure canning
I am embarrassed to admit I have never pressure canned....
luvncannin
Which fish varieties can (or can't) be pressured canned?
My husband Fishes. And Catches. My freezer already...
jill2761
Carnitas pressure canning question
Hello! I've been reading up on DigDirt's carnitas (http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/harvest/msg051438097651.html)...
PirateJeni
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™