Home Made Yogurt Problem

sjm1027(6)January 13, 2013

I am making yogurt in a new Cuisinart Yogurt maker and when I made it overnight it seemed to have turned more solid than usual with lots of liquid.
I used Marshall M-50 rennet, very little.

The way this new machine works you just add well mixed skim milk, dry milk and rennet.

Recipe i used:
I used 4 cups skim milk
1/2 cup of dry fat free milk
1/16th tablet of rennet (Marshall M-50)

8.5 hours later I had a solid at the bottom of a lot of whey, Smells great, tastes great but it is the consistency of farmers cheese or cream cheese.

Please help if you can :) I would like a thinner yogurt with the same sweet taste.

Thanks
Steve

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
organic_flutterby(5 MO)

I use to make yogurt quite often, although not with a machine so I can't really advise about that.

Straining the yogurt for several hours/overnight will produce a thicker greek style yogurt. You can stop the straining when the yogurt is the consistency you want. Again, I don't know how the machine works though. You should be able to stir some whey back into it for a thinner yogurt.

Bookmark   September 10, 2013 at 10:44PM
organic_flutterby(5 MO)

I use to make yogurt quite often, although not with a machine so I can't really advise about that.

Straining the yogurt for several hours/overnight will produce a thicker greek style yogurt. You can stop the straining when the yogurt is the consistency you want. Again, I don't know how the machine works though. You should be able to stir some whey back into it for a thinner yogurt.

Bookmark   September 10, 2013 at 10:48PM
dorthey4(3)

I make yogurt about once a week. Have never used a machine or rennet. Heat four cups of 2% milk to 180, remove from heat and cool to 120. Whisk in 2-3 tbls yogurt starter (store bought plain yogurt that contains active bacterial culture, most do) Put in glass container and either put in oven with light on for 8-12 hours or place jar on heating pat set to low, cover with a towel and cover that with a large pot for 8-12 hours. Works every time. You can freeze left over starter in ice cube trays and then put in plastic bags.

Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 12:01AM
More Discussions
How high of a fence could a deer jump over?
Anybody know? I hear they can jump/climb pretty high! Thanks!...
John_Blutarsky
semi off grid
Hi, new to this site and would like some suggestions...
will279
Farm/Homestead in MD vs VA
Hi, I'm new 'round here! We are going to be buying...
megtc
tanning fish
I have seen a few sights talking about tanning fish...
dtrade83
clinkers
I have amaziblaze 4100 corn stove that I started burning...
DJH77
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™