The Big Project

stoneunhengedJanuary 20, 2008

We are in the depths of winter here in North Florida, which means temperatures dip slightly below freezing a couple of times a month. The Big Project has gotten, well, even bigger.

I had fenced about ten acres for my Pineywoods cattle and Gulf Coast Native sheep, but essentially all the solar benefit was being absorbed by the volunteer pine trees and wasn't being converted into food for the livestock. So, a logging company paid me to come and harvest the pines and leave the native hardwoods in place. The logging operation is about to be done this week, then I'm going to convert most of the logged area into pasture but also extend my orchard and plant some more vegetable gardens.

Yesterday we had a Gulf Coast Native lamb born on the coldest and rainiest day of the year. But he/she seems to be doing fine:

Today is clear and windy (but sunny) and the windmill is pumping overtime:

The cattle are enjoying a rest in woods:

And I continue to build raised beds, composting with cow and chicken manure from the farm's livestock. Some lettuce and strawberries:

And now for the devastation of the pines. Fear not: They will soon be replaced when I plant native nut-bearing trees and other more productive tree species.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buckeye_brian

WOW...stoneunhenged...how did this post go so long without one single comment? I have zero idea how I have missed it for over a month now myself...

You have a beautiful place and animals. My wife would love to have those raised beds. What native nut trees are you planting where the pines used to be?

Brian

Bookmark   February 18, 2008 at 3:10PM
jessieinmo

Wow, looks like you have lots of work ahead of you. Do you still have Red wattle pigs? If so I am very interested in breeding stock. I need to increase my herd as well as get some new bloodlines.

Jessie

Bookmark   March 27, 2008 at 6:50PM
stoneunhenged

Yes, I still have red wattles. Where do you live?

Bookmark   April 11, 2008 at 8:31PM
mxbarbie(pnw BC 5)

Your raised beds are beautiful, I just wonder, why you made them so deep? Those types of bricks are very expensive here, about $5 each. I need to replace my rotting wood on a couple of raised beds but the cost of brick was just too much even for 8" deep.

Bookmark   April 16, 2008 at 2:15AM
More Discussions
How much land to homestead?
We are a young family and we are doing everything we...
michcabby
Does motion detector lights frighten coyotes?
We just moved onto about 4 acres. We have woods a few...
wannaflower
My new homestead!
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and currently...
ohiohomestead
semi off grid
Hi, new to this site and would like some suggestions...
will279
Urban Goat and Chicken Raising
Hi there! I live in Karachi, Pakistan which is an urbanized...
saoodhashim
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™