Leaves on Basil turning brown

rzwahr(7 NC)May 22, 2009

I'm having a problem with my basil - the leaves are starting to turn brown from the center outward. They aren't drying up, but rather it almost looks like it is varigeted now. Here is a picture I took of a leaf I picked:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/189580/IMG_0127.JPG

My plants are in a spot that gets about 1/2 day of full sun, and they have gotten watered a lot lately. Is this due to overwatering, or is this some kind of disease? If its a disease, what can I do to treat it.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

Leaves look old. If this is at the base of the plant up to about half way, it can be due to age. Overwatering basil will usually make leaves a bit yellow color, but it also can be due to poor soil conditions. The color is a sure sign of dying leaves.

Bookmark   May 22, 2009 at 4:01PM
tdtom

I am having the exact same problem. My leaves look just like the ones in the picture. Any word on how to fix it? How do I get them back to the dark lush green. My soil is fine and my other herbs are fine. Any suggestions??

Bookmark   May 23, 2009 at 12:59PM
tdtom

I brought some leaves to the local garden store and they told me it was being over watered, so to cut back some of the growth and cut back on the watering. Hopefully that will help!

Bookmark   May 23, 2009 at 2:37PM
catlady10(6)

You might need more sun.If its in a pot, put it in the sunniest spot.Also, if basil gets too cold, its leaves will burn brown to black.

Bookmark   May 28, 2009 at 12:24PM
More Discussions
Growing herbs
Hi all new to this gardening so want as someone something. I...
margowicz
Whats wrong with my basil????
I am struggling with this fussy creature... Just after...
mohort
My attempt at potting rosemary
So I attempted to take some of those already started...
dbobul
Basil has me stumped
Hi - any idea what is attacking my basil? It is in...
martini100_gw
Rosmarinus officinalis 'Barbeque'
I received this plant mail order and found it to be...
chervil2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™