Mint patch.....gone?

t-bird(Chicago 5/6)May 11, 2013

Can this be real?

About 9 years ago, I planted a little anonymous mint that I bought from a farmers market. Can't remember what it was called.

I had recently bought a new home, and I planted it where the previous garden had been by the 2 owners ago (the people I bought from had let it weed up - never buy a home in winter! It means the garden/yard is atrocious!), along with some veggies. Everything died due to my not being a gardener yet, and I abandoned gardening for about 4 years after the failure. The mint - however, lived on, coming back year after year and growing in this weedy area that I seldom tended. It eventually grew to cover about a 3' by 3-4' area, and I started harvesting it for smoothies. by mid summer it would be flower and lose flavor and I'd let it go.

It didn't come back this year. Not one mint leaf is peaking through. What could be the explanatory here?

I have peppermint I just planted last year in another part of the yard, which I nearly lost several times last heat/drought wave, is back and looking lovely.

Only now - I realize how much I loved this gentle spearmint that was always there for me.

Have you ever heard of a large mint patch just dying off spontaneously? I though they were indestructible.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Mint has died here, multiple times. The greatest mint success I've had is planting some mint I started from a cutting from mint I found growing wild nearby. It seems to like the conditions.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 9:21AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wally_1936(8b)

They do love water and a drought could kill them in any zone. I have just started mine back as I let it get too dry. We do not worry about it spreading here as you just do not water those areas or like many pot them. They seem to enjoy the sun even here in Texas.

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 3:19PM
More Discussions
My attempt at potting rosemary
So I attempted to take some of those already started...
dbobul
Growing herbs
Hi all new to this gardening so want as someone something. I...
margowicz
thyme as a house plant
HAPPY 2015 with snow on the ground (just a dusting)...
mauri256
Rosmarinus officinalis 'Barbeque'
I received this plant mail order and found it to be...
chervil2
I'm starting to grow a small herb garden. I need help and advice
I live in the Philippines in the southern part of it....
ktp101
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™