Dandelion Head - Prep and Usage

bedtimeMay 9, 2013

I picked enough dandelion heads to fill a regular sized shopping bag. Dried them in the oven at 180F for 6 hours, then blended the dry dandelions down to a powder that can be stored in a mason jar.

The dried and blended dandelions have been compressed down about (wild guess) 10x due to being dehydrated and blended. I took a rolling pin and smashed them down even further so I could fit them all in. They fill a 1600 ml mason jar.

So you are probably wondering how they taste. I had my usual vegetable soup (potatoes, carrots, onions, beans and a few lemon tree leaves) and added one heaping tablespoon of the dandelion powder. It was so much better then expected. It was very sweet, so much that I'll just be using 3/4 tbsp next time. I also has a slight musky taste to it, which seems to suit vegetable soup well.

I've tried using the frozen dandelion heads (I have a shopping bags worth of them in the freezer as well) and I find the dried and blended powder to be so much more sweet, fresh, and tasty. It also has a nice soft texture to it which mimics that of ground flax seeds, unlike the powdery texture of flour. Perhaps there are oils in it that do this?

I'm hoping to store is well but don't know if it would be better in the cupboard with the other dried stuff or in the fridge as it 'may' be oily so I question it going rancid. Perhaps even in the freezer might be okay.

That's my experience with it so far. Would love some input.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
t-bird(Chicago 5/6)

Wow - I've never heard of this at all!

Was it the yellow flowering heads, or the white make a wish heads?

did you leave the green calyx on? (think it's the calyx?)

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 5:05PM
bedtime

tbird,

It was the yellow flowering heads though I found that when I dried them in the oven many did seem to turn into wish heads.

I left the green part on as taking it off would be far too much of a task.

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 5:17PM
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

I've never done this but I have made dandelion wine with the blossoms and I do love to munch on the petals. The petals are so yummy but the green calyx isn't. :^P

The petals would be a good salad sprinkle. And even kids like the taste of the petals.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 8:17AM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

I have to do this drying dandelion greens. I have used it fresh many time in salads and by itsels. The bitter taste is like som lettuce variety which is good for bile(The Bitter Principle)

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 4:39AM
tempusflits

I used the flowers this year to make dandelion syrup. I'll have to give drying them a try next year. Thanks for giving me another use for this strange little plant.

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 4:50AM
t-bird(Chicago 5/6)

There are about 1-200 flower heads out there now.....I better decide what to do, lol!

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 11:28AM
weedlady(Central OH 6)

Oh, what a geat idea, bedtime! The only way I have used (and very much enjoyed) dandelion flowers is by dipping them in an onion ring type batter & deep-frying them. Your use is ever so much more healthy!! LOL
It is past their main flowering time now but all summer it seems I still see an occasional one popping up around the yard so now I will save and dry each flower in my dehydrator along with my herbs.
Thanks so much for the tip!

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 1:01PM
More Discussions
Mint leaves have black spots. Is it mint rust?
I have taken a lot of gardening tips by reading this...
patio_garden
Tea identification
Hello guys, My father in law had a neighbor who used...
beltroniko
Looking for real Italian Mentuccia
Hi All; I am looking for seeds or plants of the Italian...
entwife
In search of the wild fennel
Hello, I'm looking for seeds from foeniculum vulgare...
botolph
epazote from seed
I got my epazote seeds in today from Seeds of Change,...
mystmaiden
Sponsored Products
Moooi | Dandelion Pendant Lamp
YLighting
Dandelion Gallery-Wrapped Canvas
$79.99 | zulily
Burst Matelasse Pillow Sham
Grandin Road
Artehouse Where the Wind Blows Wood Panel by Budi Satria Kwan - 0004-3099-21
$74.99 | Hayneedle
Springfields table runner
Origin Crafts