Night blooming jasmine won't flower

greenie1_gwJune 4, 2013

My jasmine has no flowers at all. It's about 10 feet tall and obviously healthy; in fact, it seems to think it's a tree. I've trimmed it back to keep it about about that height. I don't fertilize it as I heard that encourages growth instead of flowering. Is it just early, as I read they often don't flower until July or August, or is something amiss?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cocoabeachlorax

Is it getting enough sunlight ?

If you've been getting a lot of rain it could just be putting out a bunch of new growth and will flower when it dries out a bit.

Bookmark   June 4, 2013 at 9:01PM
katkin_gw

One of mine is flowering but not the other. They flower on new growth so pruning it would cause new growth and flowers. Oddly, the one blooming is in shade.

Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 7:33AM
loufloralcityz9

Make sure there is no light source like a street light or porch light shining on it at night. They need pitch black nights to develop the night blooming flowers. Some plants are very sensitive that way, others not so much. One of mine flowered the other did not until I cut off the automatic porch light. It may have been coincidence, I don't know, just saying what worked.

Lou

Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 4:22PM
slopfrog

I keep mine as a large shrub, and prune them very hard when they get too big. I've even taken them down to bare sticks. They flower profusely about two months after I do this.

Now what in the heck is out there eating the leaves, that I never see morning, afternoon, or night, drives me crazy! It gobbles them up and has to be huge, leaves lots of poop like a tomato hornworm does, but I still can't find it. I've been using imidacloprid on them and it works, but I worry that I'll kill any night feeding moths by doing it. On the other plus side, the black ants don't farm aphids on them anymore either.

Bookmark   June 9, 2013 at 2:27PM
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Hmmm the cestrum nocturnum that bloom here the best seem to be the ones on the front flowerbed and they get light from the windows in the house at night plus the porch light that stays on most of the night.
There are 5 huge ones out there.
I have more in the back yard and they flower pretty well back there in total darkness too. They do bloom on new growth. I cut mine back (if they didn't die back in the winter) then feed them a bunch of miracle grow and top dress with composted chicken or rabbit manure. They seem to flower best in full sun.

If you keep trimming them back a little after each huge flower flush you can keep them blooming till frost.
I keep a few in pots as well

Hawk Moths love the nectar

I do also have an Indian Night Jasmine Tree (Nycanthes arbortristis) that seems to like total darkness at night. It also blooms on new growth.

This post was edited by sultry_jasmine_night on Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 11:29

Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 11:22AM
tabassam

My parents live in panhandle Florida area and they have several of these. They generally bloom end of July until frost for them. It gets full sun and plenty of water. Hope that helps. The perfume is overwhelming at times and my mother likes to bring blooming branches in the house which perfumes the whole room for days!

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 4:38PM
greenie1_gw

Well, this is just not to be. I started trimming this bush (which also is getting the heck eaten out of it by something), when a redbird flew out. I found a nest with two babies in it. I took some pics that I'll try to post. Oh well, I'd rather not bother them than deal with a non- blooming bush. Plus it's fun watching Mom fly in and out with food for her babies.

This post was edited by Greenie1 on Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 19:56

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 7:48PM
More Discussions
Mosaic Wall - yet another garden project...
Lots of people saw this project in it's very early...
solstice98
Speaking of Coffee
I was watching an episode of Gardening Australia the...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake, F
How mad would you get if
How mad would you get if someone walked up to a plant...
SweetMonkeyCheese Z9 Tampa
A mystery plant... Any ideas?
Rescued this plant from a friends house. It's in pretty...
soleil_blume_hooke
Callisia Repens is killing my lawn
Hi all, I bought a house a couple of years ago, with...
oldmangroot
Sponsored Products
Hopson U-Chaise Sectional - Cordova Eclipse Gray
Joybird Furniture
Vases Stackable Chair, Patio Furniture
$285.00 | FRONTGATE
One Night Stand Sleeper Sofa by Blu Dot
$1,999.00 | Lumens
Ventaglio Dresser
| Italy Design
Solar Powered Adjustable Height 6000K LED Planter Light
$49.00 | Lamps Plus