Hibiscus moscheutos cuttings ... indoors?

paul_(z5 MI)July 18, 2007

High folks,

Last month while at my folks' place up north, I cut back their 'Lord Baltimore' with the intent of making it bush out more. Figuring "what the heck", I brought the cuttings back to my place. Had them in water for a week or so then potted them up -- still rootless -- in a mix of top soil with lots of old bark & perlite [I was repotting a number of orchids & figured I'd try reusing the old mix.]

So far only one casualty, & I believe it was the result of the media drying out as I was gone for 4 days. The other potted stalks are still firm & green. Hopefully they'll take root.

My question is this:

If I am unable to make it back up to my folks before winter sets in [yes I know I still have several months til then, just don't know for certain if I'll have time to get back up there], can I over winter them indoors?

*NOTE: I live in an apt. If I don't make it back up there, there is no place for me to plant them & no I don't have an unheated garage or attic.*

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
halaeva(z6 Toronto)

Hi Paul.
I overwintered Hardy Hibiscus Moscheutos several times inside the house.I did not put them to sleep, i let them grow.Put them at sunny window and watered a little just enough to keep the soil moist. After they started to grow fast i increased the amount of water and gave them some food.If you do not have sunny window,any window should be ok.i think.
Hala.

Bookmark   July 21, 2007 at 9:51PM
More Discussions
Epsom Salt or Vinegar to help Blooms
Which one is better suited to encourage blooming?
bradley787
Hibiscus leaves are curling
Help is needed. Although my plant looks healthy with...
eagleap_gw Zone 10
new website format not fun
I really don't like the new format...
merkity
What variety (or color) shall I be?
Well, my mystery hibiscus from Logee's that was of...
dbarron
Is it ok to plant a hibiscus in a pot with no drainage holes?
Hi, I'd like to use this huge pot for one of my hibiscuses....
figsinhawaii
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™