Cucumber salad recipes

jennieboyer(8)May 31, 2012

All,

I have tried a few cucumber salad recipes this morning (all of which say they can be stored for a few months in the fridge) and have a couple of questions:

1. The recipes call for almost twice as much sugar as vinegar. Really? Why?

2. The recipes don't make enough "juice" to cover the salad. Is this how it is supposed to be?

3. I made more "juice" and modified the recipe a bit. I used more vinegar and added some water. Did not change the amount of sugar. Will this affect shelf life?

All of the recipes I tried only had vinegar, sugar, and salt as the liquid. Had varying amounts of each, as well as different vegetable proportions (cucumber, onion, pepper). Biggest question is, can/did I screw this up? As long as I keep refrigerated, will any cucumber salad recipe with vinegar keep a long time? Thanks!

Hope I've provided enough information to help!

Jennie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Would need to see the recipes your talking about to address any issues of safety.

There is a standard recipe for Marinated Cucumbers and Onions in vinegar, sugar and salt & pepper. But it sure can't be stored in the fridge for "months", more like a week, and no the brine doesn't need to 'cover' the sliced vegetables. All the water in the cukes quickly dilutes the vinegar so the pH rises and bacteria becomes an issue.

As to 2x the sugar to the amount of vinegar - you can't make a comparison there. It's like comparing apples to onions in terms of their purpose. :) It takes a great deal of sugar to offset the taste of the vinegar so many pickling recipes will call for more sugar. The ratio all depends on the recipe used.

Dave

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 11:15AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jennieboyer(8)

Thanks - here's a link to one of the recipes. The second is similar.

Here is a link that might be useful: one recipe

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 11:47AM
More Discussions
Who uses the foodsaver?
I haven't canned in several years. I've been gardening...
nancyjane_gardener
Does anyone use a pH meter in home canning?
My question is about the Wisconsin extension document...
randaloulton
Canning Bacon ?
I just watched a video on another forum of someone...
scunningham
Who said this isn't canning season?
We went to Aldi's store because they had a huge sale...
dellr
Is it OK to harvest greens with mildew?
I have some mustard greens covered with white powdery...
donegonegreen
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™