Rose of Sharon Cuttings

greattigerdane(z5NY)August 4, 2010

Hi,

I have three 7" or so cuttings (white with red center rooting (hopefully) in a small pot of vermiculite that's covered with an upside down glass vase for higher humidity right in a window that faces north. So far they are healthy, bouncy and very green!

I didn't know you could take cuttings, only seeds I thought, or I would have done this earlier in the season.

With that said, if they all root, I was going to keep them in my semi heated garage (55 degrees) and pot them up individually in the spring and plant them outdoors.

Do you think they will do ok in my garage until spring?

Will being in a cool 55 degree, "lowest" 50 degree garage still cause the leaves to drop like they do in late fall through the winter?

Thanks for any help!

Billy Rae

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wally_1936(8b)

I planted mine last summer and left them out through our Winter season which got down to freezing and they did fine. I lost some but not all of the leaves. I just dipped them into root tone and planted them, just keeping the soil moist with plain potting soil.

Bookmark   August 4, 2010 at 9:20PM
greattigerdane(z5NY)

Thanks!

I did plant one cutting in a shady area with good draining soil in the back part of my garden and it was fine for a few days, then it starting getting soft leaves and drooping, even after it was well watered.

Bookmark   August 5, 2010 at 8:29PM
wally_1936(8b)

I have had them lose all their leaves so I wouldn't give up on that one yet. I did keep them in pots until this spring before transplanting. The fun is in learning what all you can do to produce more beautiful plants
Thanks
Paul

Bookmark   August 21, 2010 at 1:11PM
robitaillenancy1(zone 5)

Will Rose of Sharon survive cold, Canadian winters, zone 5b, which is about zone 5 for US, I think. I haven't seen any around here, but Holyhocks (quite another plant) grows well.

Nancy

Bookmark   August 28, 2010 at 1:52PM
conniesc(5)

Nancy, Rose of Sharon are hardy to zone 5.

Bookmark   August 28, 2010 at 5:56PM
More Discussions
Please help!
I purchased a lovely pale yellow hibiscus 2 years ago...
eagleap_gw Zone 10
Tropical Hibiscus flowers turned from orange to pale yellow
I bought a tropical hibiscus around 4 months ago and...
AmySA
new seedling
one of my seedlings bloomed. nice flower shape - have...
merkity
baby herd a little over 3 months
Here is my little seedling herd a little over 3 months...
merkity
Raising soil level up trunk
Hi there, I have an established 3m high woody hibiscus...
laurie_tennant
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™