Question about transplanting thyme & oregano

raisemybeds(SouthernCT)May 4, 2009

Hello all - I have a mature thyme plant that has been coming back for me in a gallonish container for about 4 years now. Also a similarly potted oregano. Both look great, but I suspect they are seriously rootbound by this time. I have always top dressed them with compost as the season begins. Right now I have a whiskey barrel planter available and would like to transplant one or both of them into that and let it be their forever home. Will they do better in the larger barrel? Can both of them occupy the same barrel, or is there any complication from that? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

Because they both can produce seeds, you may get over crowding even in a bigger planter. My thyme does quite well next to my greenhouse and planted directly in the soil. It was originally started from seeds. I have three bushy plants of it now and all have returned to a bright green color after a cold winter and slight dormency. Oregano can also produce seeds and a few can survive and grow, so the planter may get over crowded. I think both are in the same herb family, so there should be no competition between the two.

Bookmark   May 4, 2009 at 3:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eibren(z6PA)

If they both look great, why rock the boat?

Some plants like to be crowded, and the drainage in the pots must be just as they like it.

Maybe you are clipping them enough to keep them happy with what they have.

I personally have never had much luck repotting herbs, so I am biased, as you can see.

Bookmark   May 5, 2009 at 2:29AM
More Discussions
Cuttings from thyme
I wonder, I live in Zone 6 and my thyme plant has made...
Steve349
Why is my basil wilted?
My roommate picked up this basil from the grocery store....
endi92
Growing herbs
Hi all new to this gardening so want as someone something. I...
margowicz
Something is eating my basil leaves
Hello - I planted basil seeds in my raised garden and...
Bimaldshah
Have you heard of "Orange Mint?"
I just saw this variety of mint as a small plant being...
peterk312
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™