Pickled Asparagus

tee_jayMay 19, 2011

Hello!

I am looking for a pickled asparagus recipe that is not sweet and is hot. In looking at Ball's pick a vegetable dill pickle recipe, it has more vinegar and less sugar than any of the other recipes that I can find (vinegar is 4 to 1 with water)

I would like to omit all if not most of the sugar. Safe?

I would like WAY more heat. With this high of a vinegar to water ratio is it ok to add more hot pepper and or garlic?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
readinglady(z8 OR)

I don't see the recipe you're referring to and can't tell if you're referring to the Ball Blue Book or the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving. It's always most helpful to have a specific book title and page number to speed up searching out the specific recipe. I think most of us are reluctant to make blanket recommendations with being able to see exactly what we're dealing with.

But to answer your question generally, you can always up the heat in the recipe by using dried peppers (dried whole red peppers are really attractive in the jar), whole black peppercorns, dried garlic flakes, etc. There's no risk with that method.

Carol

Bookmark   May 19, 2011 at 2:51PM
crankyoldman(z5 NY)

The Pickles to Relish book has got two hot pickled asparagus recipes with no sugar on p. 112. The wine vinegar to water ratio is 5:2, she uses quarts, and processing time for regular spears is 20 and fat spears is 25 minutes. It has Serrano peppers, carrots for decoration, celery stalks I guess for flavor, dill seed or pickling spice, mustard seed, garlic, salt, black peppercorns, oregano or fresh dill. She also has one that isn't hot and has optional sugar on p. 111. I made that one but haven't tried it yet.

Bookmark   May 19, 2011 at 4:11PM
tee_jay

Sorry... Ball complete book of home preserving page 16.

I think what I am looking for is something closer to the hot pickle recipe on 321 of the same book but with asparagus.

Bookmark   May 19, 2011 at 4:16PM
dgkritch(Z8 OR)

I'd just use the Dilled green beans recipe (Ball Complete, page 308)and add hot (dried) peppers to increase heat as you wish. No sugar and I use only asparagus, no other veggies (i.e. red pepper in the recipe).

Deanna

Bookmark   May 20, 2011 at 12:28AM
More Discussions
Is GMO corn cobs safe for corn cob jelly?
This is the time around here that the farmers are picking...
myfamilysfarm
Mason jar sale!
I was just at K-Mart (Niles, Ohio) and they have a...
dellr
Cranberry Vinegar
Every few years I make a batch of cranberry vinegar...
CA Kate
Canning Bacon ?
I just watched a video on another forum of someone...
scunningham
Probably a Cooking Forum question
I never go to that forum and I know several here who...
gardengalrn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™