Rose of sharon won't bloom

wqcustom(z7b NC)August 15, 2005

Anyone know why my rose of sharon won't bloom? It is about 4 ft tall, and is loaded with buds that look like they are about to open, but they don't. This is the 2nd year it has done this. Last year I thought maybe it was still getting established, so I didn't think much of it, but now that it's doing it again this year, I think it must not be happy with something. The tree looks healthy overall. Thanks for any info.

Will

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Realist1216

Are you fertilizing?? Is shrub getting enough sun? My Rose of Sharon is all budded up also and so far only a very few blooms. Same last year. I am going to transplant to a sunnier area and fertilize. Did not realize until I read entries in this forum that Rose of Sharon needs to be on a regular fertilizer schedule!!

Bookmark   August 15, 2005 at 11:56PM
wqcustom(z7b NC)

It's definately in full sun, so maybe I'll start to hit it with some regular fertilizer. Thanks for the tip.

Bookmark   August 16, 2005 at 4:02AM
wmc1

All mine come in full bloom every year in full sun. Don't ever fertilize them, and never had problems.

Bookmark   August 17, 2005 at 4:01PM
cmargo

I am having the exact same problem and it is the second year for this. Some of the buds just barely start to open and then nothing. Last year I watched the buds just drop off having never opened - very annoying. I fertilized this year and so far no difference. I did notice some very small (smaller than a grain of rice) white fuzz on a few of the buds and I'm wondering if they are being attacked by something... Sorry this isn't much help... I'm thinking of taking one of the buds with the white to a nursery to see if they can help me identify the problem.

Bookmark   August 26, 2005 at 7:48PM
tina1217(9 FL)

The bud drop could be caused by gall midge. Place some buds in a sealable plastic bag. After a day or two, you may see the very small yellowish worm-like larva on the plastic. Control the midge affecting buds with Orthene sprays as needed. Hope this helps.

Bookmark   August 30, 2005 at 9:58AM
More Discussions
Help with Hibiscus
I would love to find some real y drop dead gorgeous...
Chickey Wingz
Is my hibiscus dead?
I bought 2 hibicuses last year, and they did wonderfully....
chloe3871
help with hibiscus
My hibiscus blooms all winter inside. When I take...
marthavm
Hibiscus in Spanish
Can anyone tell me what the Spanish name is for a hibiscus...
jardinerafloridana
How beautful are these!!!
These are winter hardy hibiscus that i just ordered. They...
tlbean2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™