container size for basil varieties

pearsaml(6)May 1, 2011

I have a few different size containers-- a 5 gallon, a 3 gallon, and a couple of 2 gallon pots. I want to grow some sweet basil, some genovese basil, some lime basil and some thai basil... I'm wondering which of these plants will need the 5 gallon and 3 gallon containers most? I'm guessing it's either the sweet basil or the genovese basil plant should go in the 5 gallon container-- and also I'm wondering if I should go ahead and invest in a larger pot for the other two anyway if I want to get good growth?

Thanks for any advice!

Michelle

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nickiadkins

I would use the bigger pots for sweet. I have grown all three varieties. The thai and genovese are more bushy. Personally, I love sweet basil. If you are new to basil..don't forget to cut all the first flowers off. Basil loves to be pruned and will thank you with a fresh new tastier and bushier plants. Also, make some tomato basil salad and pesto. Yummy! I have Sweet, purple and lettuce leaf this year. I will update on recipes and growth in my blog section. FYI: you may want to label those pretty herbs...www.nickiadkins.com

Here is a link that might be useful: www.nickiadkins.com

Bookmark   May 2, 2011 at 10:52PM
carelyn(5)

Hi, I grew 3 massive sweet basil last year on my balcony in a file box. I let one go to seed and hacked it down and ate it...that left me with 2 massive sweet basils. I grew these in a box that is barely bigger than the common manilla file., slightly taller but not much wider. I would say it used about 4 gal of dirt; tops.It was also rectangular.. lots of room to freely spread without running into the neighbor too much.
I used quite a bit of compost a third to almost almost half, then i also used potting mix from my garden shop ( black gold) and perlite and rock bits mixed in real good for drainage... I drilled several holes on the bottom and a few on the side near the bottom for rain drainage and overflow control... and also grew a bit of thyme in there that did real well untill it got too much shade from the basils.It billowed over the edge and came back to abundance. I planted my basil at about 8 inches tall with 2 or 3 really good sets of leaves, I pinched it all the time, hacked off peices for recipes all summer... It grew in that dumb file box to over 4 feet -not in bolt. In bolt it was over my head.( i am short though). I am doing the same this year. It was delicious. I think the rectangular shape of the box did wonders for them.

Bookmark   May 6, 2011 at 2:30PM
sashahawaii

I have grown basil in containers ranging in size from 1 gal to 7 gal. The bigger the container, the larger your basil will grow. I would plant the sweet in the 5 gal, the genovese in the 3 gal and the thai and lime in the 2 gals. I've had the best success with 3 gal pots for basil, the plant can grow a ton of leaves and I don't have to worry about it wasting valuable potting space.

Bookmark   May 19, 2011 at 1:22PM
tracydr(9b)

My sweet basil is about as big as a determinate tomato right now. Two feet high, eighteen inches wide. It's pretty early in the season and I pick two handfuls at least every other day.
I give it fish emulsion/seaweed fertilizer, it's in composted horse manure a full sun. I would go less than 5 gallons with the sweet and genovese. The Thai is smaller, a three gallon should work.

Bookmark   May 20, 2011 at 8:03PM
More Discussions
What is attacking my precious basil?
I have a 4 foot grow light (2 tubes 6500K) in my living...
xiaobao12
Herb Seedlings Yellowing - Basil, Oregano, Chives
I just started some herb seeds and was wondering if...
syntria
Mint leaves darkening and curling - HELP!!
Hey! I have an indoor mint plant that I purchased from...
James Lim
What is attacking my basil? Whiteflies?
I have an indoor growlight which has allowed me to...
xiaobao12
Curly leaf peppermint
Does anyone know where to obtain curly leaf peppermint...
Web Loafer
Sponsored Products
WG Wood Products Unfinished Solid Wood Surface Mounted Kitchen Spice Rack
Overstock.com
Mister Hedgehog Container
$59.99 | Dot & Bo
Classic Mason Jar Set of 3 Storage Canisters
Classic Hostess
Tuscan Grape Ceramic Canister Set
Classic Hostess
Comfort Dreams 13-inch Queen-size Gel Memory Foam Mattress with Thermo-Gel Cover
Overstock.com
Angle Display Sign Feed Thru Stem 3500K 85CRI
Lightology
MaxLite ELLF405UM50 MaxLite StaxMAX LED Flood Lights
EnvironmentalLights.com
Hopson Leather Chair - Brighton Sunset Orange
Joybird Furniture
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™