Raw chard to cooked ratio

erin_nc(7)May 19, 2011

Hi,

I apologize if this has been asked before. I've searched and searched and my key word combos didn't bring up anything. I also Googled everything I could think of.

I am serving an elegant dinner for about 20. Part of the main course includes Swiss Chard with Garlic. I'm trying to figure out how much Swiss Chard to pick. As you know, chard cooks down significantly just like spinach and mushrooms.

Anyone know how many people 1 pound of raw chard will serve assuming cooked 1/2 cup servings? (Yes, I agree... who could eat just 1/2 cup? Let's assume 1/2 cup for the math.)

Thanks so much in advance! I appreciate the advice.

Erin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Just a ballpark figure - per NCHFP 18-20 lbs. of raw gets you 8-9 pints cooked. If a pint is 2 servings (like in our house) then you'd need approx. 20-25 lbs. of raw for 20 people.

But if you use the four 1/2 cup servings per pint (1 pint=2 cups) then theoretically you'd need 10 lbs. raw for 20 people. But I'd sure make extra! :)

Dave

Bookmark   May 19, 2011 at 4:04PM
erin_nc(7)

Dave,

I've been following your threads for a long time. Once again you come to the rescue. Thank you!!!! Brilliant!

I agree about making extra. I think I could eat my own weight in chard with garlic.

Thanks again,
Erin

Bookmark   May 19, 2011 at 8:18PM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

Erin, my father in law would have loved you ;-) Chard with garlic, kale with garlic, spinach with garlic....all table staples and all from his garden.

Bookmark   May 20, 2011 at 10:38AM
More Discussions
habanero gold question?
All the directions for habanero gold jelly call for...
jadeite
Sterilizing jars and tools
Hello, I think I'm getting a little neurotic about...
giddyupgo
New low fat way to make "creamy soup" !!!!!!
I got this from "Cooking Light" Most recipes...
nancyjane_gardener
Future Leather Help
I made leather out of some super good tasting berry...
CA Kate
Freezing Orange Juice
Has anyone successfully frozen orange juice? When I...
sautesmom
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™