vidalia onions

janeth_50(z6MO)May 10, 2011

Will Vidalia onions keep longer if I store them in the basement ( storm shelter)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Possible but they really aren't a storage onion variety. Too much sugar. However they dice and freeze or dehydrate exceptionally well.

For freezing just chop and place measured amounts like 1 cup in freezer bags, remove as much air as possible, press flat, and place bags in freezer. To dehydrate, chop spread in a thin layer on dehydrator sheet and dry till crispy. Store indefinitely in glass jars.

Dave

Bookmark   May 11, 2011 at 9:21AM
kayskats

20 years ago, Vidalias were available only very soon after harvesting. At that time, the Vidalia growers recommended tieing the onions in panty hose with a knot between each bulb. The hose were then hung in the basement. Since they did not touch there was much less loss.

However a few years back U of Ga and Ga Dept of Ag did a lot of research and Vidalias are now held under carefully controlled temperature and moisture ... and are available for a much longer period.

Although I'm a native Georgian and love Vidalias, I prefer to follow the "Sweet Onion Trail." I can't recall all the names now, but the first sweets are imported from Central America ... then come the Texas (1040, I think). The Vidalias are followed by sweets from the Pacific Northwest.

As Dave noted, they do keep wonderfully frozen -- but the texture does change when frozen.

Bookmark   May 11, 2011 at 5:12PM
gardengal19

-another option -- is to chop, saute and then put whatever amount you want into freezer bags.

I find this a timesaver in cooking. I like to use sauteed onions in meatloaf, pasta sauces, etc.

Bookmark   May 12, 2011 at 3:37PM
More Discussions
Jamacian Relish Receipe?
I am looking for a receipe for something called Jamacian...
bluejean
Citric acid - powder or crystal form
I have been making simple jams for years but have been...
psittacine
Sterilizing jars and tools
Hello, I think I'm getting a little neurotic about...
giddyupgo
Where did all my saved pages go?
Are they all gone or just hidden? Gee I leave for a...
ahbee01
Classico jars are back!
They changed the lid form back to a standard canning...
thatcompostguy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™