In regards to Apple Sauce, Pressure vs. Water Bath?

bksinaz(z9 AZ)May 26, 2014

I just harvested my apple tree and can bathed some cinnamon apple sauce. I was also reading on the "Ball" site that you can do both, the water bath or pressure.

As far as this apple sauce, what would be the difference? Would one have longer shelf life?

I guess the bottom line is, when it comes to fruit products, why would someone pick water bath over pressure or visa versa?

This post was edited by bksinaz on Mon, May 26, 14 at 12:30

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

One reason is the shorter processing time and low pressure with PC supposedly results in less loss of nutrition according to NCHFP. It also uses less energy and you get less boil over than when you BWB it. And it uses lots less water.

For me it is primarily convenience. If I am already PC other foods why drag out the BWB? If not... your choice.

Dave

This post was edited by digdirt on Mon, May 26, 14 at 19:00

Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 6:59PM
tracydr(9b)

I prefer to pressure can apple sauce. It's really easy. I made 7 quarts the other day, plus two quarts juice from the cores. I would normally use my juicer and a strainer but they are packed and ready to move so the sauce is just immersion blended and juice was made by boiling cores, smashing and straining.

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 4:14PM
kriswrite(zone 8)

By the time you vent, bring the pressure up or down, etc., it's not faster to pressure can applesauce. However, PC does keep the kitchen cooler. It's really just a personal choice.

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 1:00PM
More Discussions
Making Garlic or Herb Infused Oils at Home
Now that I figured out the new format, I can post this...
malna
Cranberry Vinegar
Every few years I make a batch of cranberry vinegar...
CA Kate
Sterilizing jars and tools
Hello, I think I'm getting a little neurotic about...
giddyupgo
what i put up 2015
Looks like it's time to start this thread again, so...
misskimmie
Citric acid - powder or crystal form
I have been making simple jams for years but have been...
psittacine
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™