Tropical hibiscus yellowing

Cmoores1August 15, 2014

Hi there,
This post is for my mother.

She can't figure out her problem, severe yellowing of the leaves. Also curling of the leaves.

This was purchased at home Depot, and she re potted it when she bought it.
Gets watered about once a week.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Cmoores1

Whole plant

Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 10:43AM
Cmoores1

This is what it looks like now with a bloom.

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 8:24AM
merkity

sometimes the leaves curl from heat. and only wateirng once a week, does it retain that much water? also the plants can go into shock when they are repotted sometimes...give it a little TLC, fertilizer and see what it does.

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 10:16PM
SCR_54

I have 2 tropical Hibiscus and they are blooming wonderfully but like above my leaves ate turning yellow at the bottom, I am sure it is due to the extreme heat here in Fl. I am giving them a little more water at night, But I have another problem that i have had with Hardy Hibs, there is a white substance on the entire plant, it looks like plant mites and I have used the soap water mix on one plant , i put it on the plant at night, and it seemed to clear it up, but it is back again, Is there such a thing called plant mites and what can i do,I do not want to use pesticides, I am trying to grow these plants to use for Tea.

Bookmark   August 22, 2014 at 10:10PM
merkity

sounds like spider mites. if they are potted you might try the hot bath trick. I believe its mentioned in the Hidden Valley Hibiscus website.

Bookmark   August 22, 2014 at 11:29PM
Cmoores1

Thanks. She is going to try watering it more. Maybe twice a week and see how it goes.
I also forgot to mention that she has lava rich in the bottom for drainage. Could this affect it at all?

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 9:37AM
Cmoores1

Not lava rich. Lava rocks.

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 11:41AM
merkity

hibiscus tend to take a lot of water in any sort of heat, so if your area is getting decent heat, then it needs a good amount of water, especially if its flowing through and not sitting in a container that catches the water. you just want to check that the soil isn't staying too wet between watering. right now mine need to be watered everyday and if it gets really hot twice a day. but increase slowly to see what yours needs.

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 6:34PM
More Discussions
new seedling
one of my seedlings bloomed. nice flower shape - have...
merkity
Help with an OLD hibiscus tree
This tree was planted long before we bought the house....
Crenda SWFL 10A
Hibiscus from cuttings ??
I was lucky to obtain a cutting from a lovely yellow...
Country Sunflower
id for orange hibiscus
I am looking for the botanical name for this pretty...
linda_leaf z10fla
My first of many to come
I am new to the hibiscus corner of GW. I just wanted...
luvncannin
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™