Is this Cilantro done and only good for harvest?

surf1May 13, 2014

Cilantro was looking great, not it's been sorta wilting, and leaves starting to turn yellow. There's no seeds or anything so not sure there as people are saying I should be collecting seeds and replanting as I go. Some of the leave ends are turning a dead grown color, and in the interior looks kinda ferny I guess like it's "bolting" however looks nothing like pics I've seen on here of bolting cilantro. I live in South FL.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wannabegardnr(7 Maryland)

The pot does have drainage holes, right? Just to rule out too much water.

Bookmark   May 13, 2014 at 1:39PM
surf1

Yeh, all my pots have drain holes to the bottom tray thing. I don't know if it comes off on the smaller red ones, on my larger black pots that bottom piece snaps off. Looks wet right now as it started to rain so I moved the pots into the Florida room.

Bookmark   May 13, 2014 at 1:43PM
balloonflower(5b Denver CO, HZ 5-6, Sunset 2b)

It is ready for harvest. That will encourage new leaf growth. It's packed pretty tight, which is my guess why you're having leaf die off. Bolting will look different- tall stalks with flower umbels that will turn into coriander seed.

Bookmark   May 13, 2014 at 2:54PM
gardenper(8)

Yes, that bunch looks really full. Go ahead and prune some of them for eating.

In case you start getting more than you can use right away, there are ways to preserve the cilantro in the fridge for a longer time. I have also heard of freezing the cilantro. And finally, if you really don't want to preserve, maybe you can share it with friends and family or throw it in the compost bin.

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 6:44PM
surf1

Well not sure whats wrong but my Cilantro is horrible, taste like bittery mixed with lemons. Nothing remotley close to store bought Cilantro, and I remember at a time when it was like half way growing it had that same aroma/taste as store bought, not now though. Ughhh... that was a waste growing lol.

It also taste soapy too which I read about, however I've never had that soapy taste from store bought or friends. I did spray the plant with the water/soap/oil mixture like people on here say to do to get rid of aphids, but if that's the cause, whats the point of doing that and ruining your plant, I'll take the aphids instead.

I think it had signs of bolting like I posted above in that 3rd pic, there's ferny growth. I live in South FL and I know Cilantro needs at least 6 hours of sun, well you get plenty of that + heat/humidity with storms now. Looks like maybe I should have harvested a month ago?

This post was edited by surf1 on Thu, May 15, 14 at 9:31

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 9:16AM
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Ferny growth usually is the first signs of cilantro bolting. The taste does change with bolting. I have still used it after it starts to bolt but it is not as pleasant.

I have not used the soap combo on my plants before. Aphids are not generally a problem in my outdoor gardens where I grow cilantro. Even so, I would have expected rain should have washed off your soap but if you kept the plant indoors, that may have not happened.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   May 18, 2014 at 10:07AM
More Discussions
Tea identification
Hello guys, My father in law had a neighbor who used...
beltroniko
plants in cat litter bags?
I've seen pics of plants growing in reusable shopping...
mystmaiden
Got some bugs... killing my Mint
I need help find out what kind of pest is the one killing...
lovemiami
epazote from seed
I got my epazote seeds in today from Seeds of Change,...
mystmaiden
Looking for real Italian Mentuccia
Hi All; I am looking for seeds or plants of the Italian...
entwife
Sponsored Products
Copeland Furniture | Astrid Platform Bed with 1 Adjustable Headboard Panel - Cal
YLiving.com
Flor De Serres Original Framed Print #119
Ballard Designs
Tibetan Stripe Collection - Alice - Oliver Yaphe
$2,100.00 | HORNE
Bruck | Flight Track with Swarovski Crystals
$371.25 | YLighting
Entryways Spider Web 17 in. x 28 in. Non Slip Coir Door Mat P939
$29.97 | Home Depot
Hudson Street Back To Nature 7 pc. Comforter Set - Charcoal - 2002791
$78.99 | Hayneedle
Aurora 15-Light Chandelier by Maxim Lighting