Can hibiscus be transplanted?...

mammaw123August 2, 2007

If so, when is the best time? This is a well established plant.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hitexplanter(8 a)

Hibiscus growth will slow down as temps cool so it may be better to do it sooner than later so some growth and roots can fill the new pot and soil before you bring it in for the winter. Other wise if you can wait then consider next spring after it warms regularly above 50 so you have somewhat more active growth to fill the container. You can do it in the winter but watch watering as this is the slow growth time and overwatering can be an issue. I hope this is of some help and happy growing David

Bookmark   August 2, 2007 at 8:45PM
paulallen(6b)

Like David, I have transplanted several hibiscus successfully, and (grown them in 24-inch diameter containers); both Fall and Spring seem to work -- after the plant is cut back. Good luck.

Bookmark   August 15, 2007 at 9:04AM
blakley41_cox_net

My mother bought me two hibiscus plants early this year (2010). I planted them in a spot that I "thought" I wanted them to be. As the summer went on, I decided that they really weren't where I wanted them. Now I need to transplant.

I did not realize that I needed to cut the plant back. The frost has gotten the plant tops. Is all lost now?
If not, I should wait until spring to transplant them?

Bookmark   December 30, 2010 at 1:01AM
ravenh2001

I was moving a potted tropical hibiscus 10 years ago to my new house and it blew out of the pickup. The pot 24" smashed and a truck behind ran over it and dragged it 100 feet down the road. I had the tree for over 30 years so I put it in a pot and cut it back to 10" from 7'. within 3 years I was pruning for size control. maybe it was root bound and jumped out of the truck it did get a good root pruning that day.

Bookmark   February 13, 2011 at 12:42PM
rsingley(z6a NJ)

I have found the common wild grown plant to be very hardy. So much so that I have pulled many out of the ground with my hands and transplanted without issue. I recommend more traditional methods but I think you get the point.

Bookmark   March 12, 2011 at 11:44PM
More Discussions
Probable Identity, Please
Here is a photo of a double salmon orange hybrid in...
palmfan
Is it ok to plant a hibiscus in a pot with no drainage holes?
Hi, I'd like to use this huge pot for one of my hibiscuses....
figsinhawaii
Help with an OLD hibiscus tree
This tree was planted long before we bought the house....
Crenda SWFL 10A
How beautful are these!!!
These are winter hardy hibiscus that i just ordered. They...
tlbean2004
Hibiscus leaves are curling
Help is needed. Although my plant looks healthy with...
eagleap_gw Zone 10
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™