Pineywoods cattle and Gulf Coast sheep

stoneunhengedApril 24, 2007

Here are some pics that I took yesterday evening.

I have three Pineywoods cattle (two heifers and a bull) on about six acres of, well, piney woods. Here's the bull and a heifer:

I have six Gulf Coast native sheep; one ram, four ewes, and a three-week old lamb. (If you think about the lamb's coloring, it makes you wonder whether he kept his eye on the ewes at all times.)

The ram:

Ewes and lamb:

Both these breeds are ideally suited to where I live in North Florida. They are heat tolerant, naturally parasite resistant, and have gone through 500 years of natural selection to adapt to the local habitat.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
robin_maine

What are pineywoods cattle bred for? Milk, meat, oxen or ?

Bookmark   May 28, 2007 at 8:47AM
stoneunhenged

Bred for all three things, but primarily for meat.

Bookmark   June 2, 2007 at 11:06AM
cowhunter

I also have Pineywoods cattle and native sheep. Please e-mail me off-list so we can share information. I live in Lake City.

Bookmark   July 13, 2007 at 9:59AM
cowhunter

Sorry, I forgot to include my contact information.
E-mail address: old_cowhunter@yahoo.com

I have Florida Cracker Cattle, Pineywoods Cattle, Florida Native Sheep, and other rare heritage breeds of livestock.

Bookmark   July 13, 2007 at 10:07AM
rabbitlover

Those cows look pretty cool. Though with such a small herd wouldn't it be easier to do AI than to keep a bull? Also I've been looking into dual-purpose cows and the pineywoods breed came up with the bonus of saving/preserving a endangered livestock breed. I've been wanting a cow that gave a good ammount of milk a day(about 4lbs) while having salvage value. Could a pineywoods do that? And are they calm and docile suitable for a beginner like me. You also mentioned that they were idally suited to florida being heat resistent, would they be okay in ohio with the wind rain snow etc.? thanks.

Bookmark   July 16, 2007 at 9:05PM
stoneunhenged

I've heard of a few people milking Pineywoods. I've never done it. They're pretty easy to handle. Not huge and not bad dispositions.

I have three more heifers since I posted these pictures, so my bull:cow ratio is 1:5.

I assume they'd be okay in Ohio. It gets pretty cold during the winter in part of their natural range. They don't seem to mind cold.

Bookmark   July 17, 2007 at 11:12AM
gwemau

Your Gulf Coast native sheep look very happy. I was hoping that when I get some land one day, maybe I would keep some kind of heat tolerant breed.
What do you do with the fleece? I would be willing to purchase some fleece from you if any still available. I would like to see how it feels to the hand while spinning, and of course the finished product.
You can contact me at gwemau44@yahoo.com if you would like.
Thanks

Bookmark   August 19, 2007 at 5:05PM
stoneunhenged

I emailed you. Happy to help.

Bookmark   August 21, 2007 at 9:06PM
bj_free_hotrmail_com

I am interested in the fleece. Please let me know if you have any available. I'll be travelling to Florida, Orlando, in June 08. Thank you very much.

Bookmark   February 28, 2008 at 4:07PM
aqharednecks(8)

I know this is an old thread, but I hadn't ever heard of the native sheep before. Where in N. FL are you? We are in Milton.
I am really interested in getting some sheep. Can they go in pastures with goats or will there be issues with temperments or parasites?

Bookmark   July 30, 2008 at 12:24PM
brendan_of_bonsai(4b AK)

When I google gulf coast native I don't find sheep with the same beautiful faces your sheep have, are you sure that is what they are?

Bookmark   July 31, 2008 at 2:17AM
organic_flutterby(5 MO)

I do not have any livestock right now, but am planning to get enough to provide meat, milk, eggs etc for my family. I am very interested in the rarer breeds, primarily because I hate to think of them dying out. I see that the pineywoods and the gulf coast are both on the American Livestock Breeds Conservatory critical list. I have to commend anyone who takes an interest in saving these and other breeds. I am interested in the arapawa and san clemente goats, not for meat but to help replenish their numbers. Also interested in making products from their milk: milk, cheese, soap. As of yet I have not found any for sale. I am looking into navajo-churro sheep and several rarer chicken breeds. So far I am just in the research stage, but I'll get there.

Bookmark   August 1, 2008 at 11:55AM
netsirk_05_yahoo_com

Would like a contact number to discuss the Gulf Coast Native Sheep.

Bookmark   September 1, 2008 at 8:19PM
hogeybones

I just ran across your post and would like info on your pineywoods. Just wondering what strain do you have and have many do you currently have? What part of N Florida are you in? I have some Barnes pineys.

Bookmark   February 15, 2009 at 10:57AM
More Discussions
How much land to homestead?
We are a young family and we are doing everything we...
michcabby
Does motion detector lights frighten coyotes?
We just moved onto about 4 acres. We have woods a few...
wannaflower
Can you make mint and citrus extracts by juicing and dehydrating?
I couldn't find any resources online but I want to...
eco-peru
How high of a fence could a deer jump over?
Anybody know? I hear they can jump/climb pretty high! Thanks!...
John_Blutarsky
Deer Fencing - New 8' or Interior 4'
I have about 4.5 acres we want to enclose (tired of...
beartoothweb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™